This Peanut Butter Pretzel Snack Mix is the perfect sweet, salty, and crunchy combination. Packed with creamy peanut butter, salty peanut butter-filled pretzels, rich and sweet milk chocolate, and topped off with a generous layer of powdered sugar, this snack mix is so easy to make and SO DELICIOUS!
This peanut butter pretzel snack mix is made up of just 7 ingredients and is the easiest treat to throw together for a party or movie night!
- Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels – makes the base for this recipe. Adds a super salty crunch and extra peanut butter flavor (win!)
- Milk Chocolate Chips – offsets the saltiness of the pretzels with a silky smooth and sweet chocolate-y flavor.
- Creamy Peanut Butter – melts with the chocolate chips to bind the snack mix together and create an ultra-delicious pretzel coating.
- Unsalted Butter – helps hold all the ingredients together.
- Salt – adds just a little extra saltiness to complement the sweetness of the chocolate.
- Vanilla Extract – provides a warmth and depth in flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – coats the outside of the snack mix making them extra sweet.
How to make peanut butter pretzel snack mix
This snack mix takes just 10 minutes to throw together so it’s a great thing to bring to a party when you’re crunched for time—or even when you’re not! 😉
- Place pretzels in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture over pretzels.
- Stir together using a spatula.
- Add in powdered sugar, stir, then serve and demolish!
I’m telling you, this snack mix is MORE than worth the 10 minutes it takes to throw it together. So sweet, so salty, and SO GOOOOOD!
For other sweet and salty snack ideas check out my puppy chow recipe, my no-bake chocolate peanut butter energy bites recipe, or my sweet and salty potato chip truffles recipe!
What peanut butter to use
Processed peanut butter – Jiff or Skippy – works best in this recipe. I don’t recommend using any natural peanut butters. They are more runny than processed kinds so they won’t set as well and your snack mix will be messier and harder to, well, snack on!
Peanut butter pretzel snack mix recipe substitutions
Although I love this recipe just the way it is, if you have dietary restrictions or are looking to make some changes, here are some suggestions I have:
- Can I use regular pretzels? If the peanut butter-filled pretzels are just too much peanut butter for you, you can definitely sub them with regular pretzels. Keep in mind, the chocolate mixture might not hold on quite as well.
- Can I use a different kind of chocolate? I LOVE how the milk chocolate tastes alongside the salty pretzels. Other types of chocolate will taste super yummy too! Try dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or even white chocolate to switch it up!
- Can I sub other nut butters for peanut butter? If you have a peanut allergy or simply don’t like peanut butter as much as I do, you could definitely substitute the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter. I don’t recommend using any all-natural nut butters because they’re too runny and may not set as well at room temperature.
- Is butter necessary? Butter is a necessary part of this recipe because it helps hold all the ingredients together. However, you could try using a vegan buttery spread instead. The results are not guaranteed because I haven’t tested it.
- Can I leave the vanilla out? You can leave the vanilla out if you want, but I highly recommend keeping it in the recipe because it adds significant flavor depth to the mix!
How to make peanut butter pretzel snack mix on the stovetop
No microwave? Not a problem! You can easily melt the peanut butter, butter, chocolate chips, and salt in a saucepan on the stove instead. Simply stir them together until all the ingredients are melted and the mixture is smooth, then continue on from step 5 in the recipe card!
How to store
This peanut butter pretzel snack mix can be stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag at room temperature for up to a week, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make sure you let it come to room temperature before re-serving!
Peanut Butter Pretzel Snack Mix
Equipment for this recipe
- 10 cups peanut butter filled pretzels
- 1 (12 oz bag) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb bag) powdered sugar more or less to taste
- Place pretzels into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and salt in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 60 seconds and then stir until smooth.
- If the chocolate chips haven't melted enough, microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the mixture is completely melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the pretzels and stir together gently with a spatula.
- Pour the powdered sugar over the mixture.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Serve and devour!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.