This Slow Cooker Chex Mix is so easy to make and so addicting! This homemade version of a classic snack is made up of chex cereal, Cheez-Its, and mini pretzels tossed in a tangy, salty, and slightly spicy sauce.
It’s a good thing this chex mix recipe makes a ton because I promise you this will go fast!
- Unsalted Butter – the base for the sauce.
- Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix – adds sweet and tangy flavors.
- Worcestershire Sauce – gives that classic salty and tangy chex mix flavor.
- Garlic Powder and Chili Powder – adds just the right amount of spice.
- Chex Cereal – I’ve used both rice and corn and both are delicious.
- Pretzels – use mini pretzels so they incorporate well with the other mix-ins.
- Cheez-Its – I like to use classic Cheez-Its but use whatever your favorite is.
How to make
There are just a few super simple steps to make this crockpot chex mix! The result is a seriously crunchy, salty, ultra addicting snack that everyone will love!
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients.
- Place cereal, pretzels, and Cheeze-Its into your crockpot and mix well until well incorporated.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture and gently stir until the sauce has evenly coated the mix-ins.
- Place a thin dish towel over your crockpot then place the lid over the towel and cook on LOW for 2-2.5 hours, stirring gently ever 30 minutes.
- After the cook time, spread the chex mix onto a rimmed baking sheet and let it cool at room temperature before serving!
How do you keep chex mix from getting soggy?
The key to avoiding soggy crockpot chex mix is to place a thin towel over the top before putting the lid on.
This helps collect the moisture that condensation that collects on the lid as the chex mix cooks which, if not absorbed, will make it soggy.
Why did my chex mix burn?
To prevent your chex mix from burning, make sure you stir it once every 30 minutes throughout the 2.5 hour cook time.
This re-distributes the mix-ins so the ones are the bottom aren’t cooking faster than those in the middle or on the top.
Can you bake slow cooker chex mix?
Yep! If you’re shorter on time, you can bake on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat at 250ºF for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Is chex mix healthy?
I wouldn’t call this chex mix a health food but you could definitely be eating worse snacks! PLUS, because it’s homemade, you know exactly what’s going into it!
- Use other mix-ins. Try Giardettos rye chips, nuts, oyster crackers, bagel chips, or other cereal.
- Add some candy. Mix in some M&Ms, chocolate chip, or other candy. Make sure you do this after it cools completely so the chocolate doesn’t melt.
- Spice it up. Add a few drops of hot sauce to the sauce for a kick of heat.
How to store
Store leftover chex mix in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.
Slow Cooker Chex Mix
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 (1 oz) packet ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (12 oz) box Chex cereal (I've used rice and corn)
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 cups Cheez-Its
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Place cereal, pretzels, and Cheez-Its into your crockpot. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour sauce over the mix-ins and gently stir until the sauce has evenly coated the mix-ins.
- IMPORTANT: Place a thin dish towel over your crockpot, before placing the lid on. This collects the condensation created during the cooking process.
- Set your crockpot to LOW and cook for 2 - 2.5 hours.
- Gently stir every 30 minutes.
- After the 2 - 2.5 hours, pour the mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet and let cool to room temperature.
- Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.*
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.