This Healthy Zucchini Cake is vegan, gluten free, flourless, and loaded with almond butter, dark chocolate, and zucchini!
I’m not gonna lie.
I could reeeeeeally use a slice of this Healthy Zucchini Cake right about now.
It was a jam packed weekend full of fun, friends, and family . . .
so I’m tired.
So that means,
I need cake. 😉
If you read my Avocado Pesto post a while back, then you know we have friends that eat healthy 99.999999% 😉 of the time.
They had us over for dinner and we were in charge of bringing a side dish (I brought Mediterranean Farro Salad <– duh) and dessert.
I started racking my brain for what to bring.
They’ve had my Black Bean Brownies (and LOVE them), but they’ve had those before so I wanted to make them something new.
I also wanted to make something flourless that was loaded with dark chocolate (because flourless desserts with dark chocolate are life).
I saw some zucchini and almond butter in my fridge and before I knew it, this Healthy Zucchini Cake was born!
It’s easy and SO delish.
Whisk together all natural almond butter (the kind with just almonds on the ingredient list), pure maple syrup, mashed banana, and vanilla extract.
Stir in cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Fold in chocolate chips (I actually used a combo of dark chocolate chips AND chunks <– because why not?!) and shredded zucchini.
Bake. Cool. Serve.
This Healthy Zucchini Cake is absolutely perfect on it’s own . . .
It’s also super good re-warmed in the microwave then topped with vegan cool whip or ice cream . . .
Light, fluffy chocolate cake, that’s healthy and packed with veggies, but actually tastes good?
We can all FINALLY have our cake AND eat it too. 😉
What healthy dessert should I make next? Show Me the Yummy!
- 1 cup natural almond butter unsalted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate more for topping if desired (chunks or chips work fine)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (loosely packed, don’t squeeze out water)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a round 9x9 in baking pan with cooking spray (I lined mine with parchment paper as well for easy serving).
- Whisk together almond butter, maple syrup, banana, and vanilla.
- Stir in cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and zucchini until combined.
- Place mixture into prepared pan and use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Top with a handful of chocolate, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out *mostly* clean.
- Allow cake to completely cool before slicing and serving.