This Mediterranean Farro Salad is bright, fresh, and healthy! Hearty and chewy farro, chickpeas, and loads of crunchy veggies are tossed with feta in tangy red wine vinegar.
Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring today’s post!
You guys. This Mediterranean farro salad is SO SO GOOD! I’m not even exaggerating when I say I was shoveling it in by the spoonful directly out of the serving dish…and I wasn’t at my own home. Luckily I was in good company and there were no judgements made. Especially when everyone else tasted it. 😉
Hearty, chewy farro, crisp veggies, bright and tangy red wine vinegar, and spices? A simple flavor bomb you will not be able to get enough of!
- Farro – I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro.
- Red Onion, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, and Cucumber – the classic Mediterranean veggie blend that gives this salad tons of color, texture, and nutrition.
- Kalamata Olives – a classic addition to Mediterranean food. Kalamata olives add delicious salty flavor.
- Garlic – adds a subtle nutty flavor to round out the tang from the vinegar.
- Feta Cheese – leave out if you’re vegan or dairy-free but, if you’re not, feta adds delicious saltiness and creaminess to the dish.
- Chickpeas – add a delicious pop of texture and nutty flavor that pairs so well with the vinegar and salty olives.
- Red Wine Vinegar – the acidity in the vinegar helps break down the veggies and farro so they can really soak in all the flavor from the seasonings.
- Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Dried Dill, and Salt – a sweet, earthy, and tangy seasoning blend that really takes this salad to another level of flavor.
How to make
This delicious, fresh, and healthy salad comes together in just 10 minutes!
- Place all your ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve!
What is farro?
Farro is an ancient grain of the Mediterranean that has a delicious chewy texture and slightly nutty flavor.
It’s super hearty, super yummy, and super healthy!
How to cook farro
Farro is so easy to cook. Just boil it in water until tender! However, there are a few different types of farro which all have slightly different cooking directions.
Whatever type of farro you use, you’ll need 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of farro.
- Whole farro. Whole farro is made up of the husk and bran so it is the most nutritious but takes the longest to cook.
- Semi-pearled farro. Semi-pearled farro has no husk and part of the bran is gone so it’s slightly less nutritious but takes 25-30 minutes to cook.
- Pearled farro. This is the most common type of farro. It has no husk and no bran so it is the least nutritious but can be ready in 15-20 minutes.
How healthy is farro?
Farro is packed with protein, fiber, and other nutrients such as magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins!
It’s a super healthy grain and gives this Mediterranean farro salad tons of nutrition!
Is farro gluten-free?
No. Farro is in the same family as wheat so it’s not gluten-free.
What to serve with mediterranean farro salad
This farro salad is delicious as a light and fresh snack or served alongside other yummy recipes!
Can you make mediterranean farro salad ahead of time?
Absolutely! Farro salad will last for a few days in the fridge so it’s perfect to make ahead of time.
The extra time allows the ingredients to soak in more of the flavor so I even prefer it the next day!
How to store
Leftover farro salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for 5-6 months.
When you’re ready to serve, thaw in the fridge if frozen and enjoy!
Mediterranean Farro Salad Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro cooked in vegetable broth according to package directions
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta optional, omit if vegan or dairy free
- 1/2 cup chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve!
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, before serving!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring today’s post!