This is the best Vanilla Mug Cake! It’s moist, yet fluffy, and is the perfect personal-sized, microwave dessert!
Finally. A vanilla mug cake recipe that ISN’T DRY and flavorless. You guys. I have tried so many different recipes and they all come out incredibly bland with a weird spongey texture.
My vanilla mug cake couldn’t be further from that. It’s moist, but fluffy, and packed with flavor. Looking for something chocolate-y? Try my chocolate mug cake instead!
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is a single serving cake made in a mug! Mug cake recipes are designed to be made in the microwave so they’re the perfect single-serving desserts ready in just a few minutes. This vanilla mug cake takes 5 minutes to mix up and 60 seconds to cook in the microwave!
The best part of mug cakes? You probably have all these ingredients in your fridge and pantry already!
- Butter – unsalted butter provides a rich, buttery flavor and a light, tender texture. Often, cakes are made with oil to provide more moisture, but butter is necessary to keep the cake from being bland. If salted butter is only available, simply omit the additional salt in the recipe.
- Milk – creates a very soft cake. Any milk you have on hand will be fine. We used skim, because that’s what we have on hand.
- Vanilla Extract and Almond Extract – these extracts work together to make this cake extra flavorful. Without them, the cake is very bland. Unless there’s an allergy involved, I don’t recommend omitting the almond extract.
- All-Purpose Flour – the base of our cake, flour provides structure. I don’t recommend substituting for another flour. If you’re looking for a gluten free mug cake, check out my vegan chocolate mug cake, which is made gluten free by using almond flour.
- Granulated Sugar – adds just the right amount of sweetness to make our cake sweet, but not too sweet. It also helps the cake stay tender.
- Baking Powder – our leavening agent that helps the cake rise. Do not replace with baking soda. Baking soda needs an acid (lemon juice, yogurt, etc.) to work.
- Salt – cuts the sweetness from the sugar while also enhancing the flavor of the butter and extracts.
- Sprinkles – use jimmies, not nonpareils. Jimmies hold their shape when cooked, but nonpareils will bleed (leak their color) a lot!
How to make
This single serving dessert only dirties one dish!
- Melt butter in a microwave safe mug, then stir in milk, vanilla, and almond extract until combined.
- Add in flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and sprinkles and mix until smooth, then optional – dollop caramel into the center.
- Microwave for 60 seconds, then remove from the microwave and allow to cool for 60 seconds.
- Serve with a dollop of frosting and enjoy!
Which type of mug is used for a mug cake?
Any microwave safe mug that can hold at least 16 oz of liquid can be used to make this mug cake. Cook time may vary depending on the material and shape.
Can you bake this vanilla mug cake?
If desired, this mug cake can be baked in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the recipe as directed in an oven-safe mug.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool, then top with frosting and enjoy!
- Add in a filling. Dollop in a tablespoon of nutella, hot fudge, peanut butter, caramel, jam.
- Swap the sprinkles. Try chocolate chips, shredded coconut, or even chopped nuts instead.
How to store
Mug cake is best right away but will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days.
You can freeze for up to 3 months if you’d like but it probably isn’t necessary, because it’s so quick and easy to make!
Vanilla Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour spoon and leveled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sprinkles use jimmies not nonpareils
- 1 tablespoon old fashioned caramel apple dip optional
- Frosting optional for serving*
- Place butter into a large microwave-safe mug**, then microwave until the butter has melted, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, and almond extract until combined, then add in flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and sprinkles and mix until smooth.
- Optional - dollop caramel into the center.
- Microwave for 60 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for 60 seconds***, then with a dollop of frosting and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.