This Vegan Mug Cake is rich, moist, and decadent, but made with healthier ingredients! This gluten free, single-serving dessert is fluffy, chocolate-y, and made in less than 5 minutes.
I have no words, because this vegan mug cake is just TOO delicious. Before I perfected my original chocolate mug cake, I had never found a mug cake recipe that was actually good. Too dry. Too bland. Blah. Now that I’ve created my own versions (both are rich, flavorful, and MOIST), I’m absolutely obsessed.
This vegan mug cake is a twist on my chocolate mug cake, but it’s made without any animal byproducts and uses more nutritious ingredients like almond flour and coconut sugar.
Whether or not you’re vegan, you need this mug cake in your life.
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like…a cake made in a mug! Mug cake recipes are designed to be made in the microwave so they’re perfect single-serving desserts that are ready in just a few minutes. Because this recipe is so rich, I recommend that you share this with a friend (but don’t forget the vegan ice cream).
Mug cakes are awesome because they’re:
- Perfectly portioned. If you’re having a cake craving, you don’t have to bake a whole one. This vegan mug cake serves 1-2 so it’s just the right size for satisfying that sweet tooth without having tons of leftovers.
- Made in the microwave. 60 seconds and dessert is ready!
- So good. Seriously. Chocolate-y, nutty, deliciously sweet…it doesn’t get better than that!
This mug cake is vegan, gluten-free, and packed with healthy ingredients!
- Almond Flour – gives the mug cake its structure and keeps it gluten-free. I don’t recommend subbing another flour.
- Coconut Sugar – provides just the right amount of natural sweetness. Feel free to replace with brown sugar.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – gives the cake its chocolate flavor.
- Baking Soda – keeps the mug cake light and fluffy and not overly dense.
- Salt – cuts the sweetness and brings out flavor.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – adds moisture. Any non-dairy milk will work just make sure it’s unsweetened.
- Vanilla Extract – provides flavor depth and warmth.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – any brand will work. You can also use chocolate chunks if preferred!
- All-Natural Almond Butter or Peanut Butter – dolloped in the center for a nutty flavor and creamy texture.
- Vegan Ice Cream and/or Vegan Whipped Cream – for serving!
How to make
Four minutes to prep, one minute to cook, and dessert is ready to go!
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, almond milk, and vanilla in a microwave safe mug (at least 12 oz.)
- Stir in chocolate chips then dollop your nut butter in the center.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds then cool slightly before serving!
What mug to use
Any microwave safe mug that can hold at least 12 ounces of liquid will work. Cook time may vary depending on the material and shape.
Why is my mug cake gummy?
If your mug cake came out gummy it’s probably over-cooked. Start with 60 seconds and add time as needed.
When you take it out, the middle will still be slightly gooey but the outsides will have a more cake-like texture. It will firm up as it cools.
Can you bake vegan mug cake?
You can! If you prefer not to use the microwave you can bake your mug cake in an oven-safe mug or ramekin at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes.
How to store
Mug cake is best right away but will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days.
You can freeze for up to 3 months if you’d like but it probably isn’t necessary since it’s so quick and easy to make!
Vegan Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup packed almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar you could probably get away with 2 tablespoons without changing the texture too much
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon all natural almond butter or peanut butter be sure to use the just nuts variety
- Vegan ice cream or vegan whipped “cream” for serving
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, almond milk, and vanilla in a microwave-safe mug (should be able to hold at least 12 oz of liquid).
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Dollop nut butter in the center.
- Cook in microwave 60-90 seconds* and add more time as needed. The middle will still be gooey, but the outsides should have a cake-like texture.
- Cool slightly before serving with vegan ice cream or vegan whipped “cream”.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.