These healthy vegan pumpkin muffins are made w/ whole wheat flour & are naturally sweetened w/ maple syrup! They’re topped w/ pecan streusel & maple glaze!
They’re not juuuuuust Vegan Pumpkin Muffins w/ Pecan Streusel & Maple Glaze. They’re also healthy, made with whole wheat flour, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup!
They’re also my new favorite muffin.
And I know I always say that, but for real this time. Promise.
For now… 😉
Now that Trevor’s working on some exciting new things for the blog (we’ll fill you in later!), he’s been staying up crazy late. Which means, I’ve been staying up crazy late.
These vegan pumpkin muffins were made and photographed, ahem, and eaten at 2:00 AM. I couldn’t sleep, so what the heck, let’s just bake!
There are THREE glorious parts to this recipe that I’m so excited to share with you.
1. The pumpkin muffin. Moist – like really, I know people don’t like that word, but holy cow these are moist – tender, fluffy, ugh. Perfection. Oh yea, and I made these JUMBO sized. 🙂 Jumbo muffins are the best.
2. The pecan streusel. Or crumble. I can’t decide what to call it. Whatever you call it, it’s my favorite part of the muffin. It’s crunchy, gets toasty in the oven, and I ate half of it before it could make it on the muffins.
3. The maple glaze. ♡ This maple glaze should go on anything and everything. Don’t argue with me, just accept it and make it immediately.
The first thing you’re gonna do when you make this recipe, is make the pecan streusel. Let me tell you, you’re going to want to eat the whole bowl by itself, but trust me. Contain yourself and put it all on top of the muffins.
All you need to do for the pecan crumble is mix together rolled oats, whole wheat pastry flour (I always use Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour), pecan pieces, some spices, coconut oil, and maple syrup until it combines. How easy is that? Plus, it’s sticky, sweet, crunchy… yum.
Set this aside (and remember, try not to eat it all) while you make your vegan pumpkin muffins!
Whisk together dry ingredients, whisk together your wet ingredients, combine the two, top with the almost too good to be true pecan streusel and wham, bam, thank you ma’am…you’re done! Oh, and like I said, these muffins are healthier than your standard muffin, because they’re loaded with whole wheat pastry flour and pumpkin puree and are naturally sweetened with maple syrup!
While these vegan pumpkin muffins bake to golden p.e.r.f.e.c.t.i.o.n. ♡ , you’re going to whisk together a simple maple glaze.
I literally ate this with a spoon and had to make a second batch. Trevor did the same, but used his finger.
The glaze is just a combination of powdered sugar (hey, we’re splurging a bit 😉 ), coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup.
Drizzle this loveliness over a warm muffin and I swear you’ll be in heaven.
Warm, jumbo, tender, lightly spiced, vegan pumpkin muffins topped with toasty, crunchy pecan crumble, and drizzled in a sweet, cozy maple glaze.
Breakfast? Yes. Dessert? Yes.
Vegan Pumpkin Muffins all the time?
Looking for more muffin recipes? Be sure to check out:
Pumpkin Bread w/ Chocolate & Butterscotch (can be made into muffins)
Show me the yummy!
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup maple syrup room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk room temperature
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup room temperature
- 1 tablespoon almond milk optional (use if you want a thinner glaze)
- Whisk together dry ingredients: rolled oats oats, flour, pecan, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients: coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and set aside.
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Grease a jumbo sized (6 slot) muffin tin and a standard sized muffin tin (you'll only use 6 slots) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
- Whisk together maple syrup, oil, vanilla, pumpkin puree, and the milk + vinegar mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir together dry and wet ingredients - DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Fill the prepared muffin tins (use 1/2 cup for the jumbo and 1/4 cup for the standard) with the batter.
- Top with the pecan streusel - about 2 tablespoons for the jumbo and 1/2 tablespoon - 1 tablespoon for the standard muffin.
- Bake at 425ºF for 5 minutes. Then decrease the heat to 375ºF and bake for another 5-8 minutes (for the standard muffins) and another 10-15 minutes (for the jumbo).
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing from the tin and topping with the maple glaze!
- Whisk together glaze ingredients, excluding the almond milk.
- If you'd like a thinner glaze, whisk in the almond milk.
- Drizzle over muffins and serve!