These Vegan Scotcheroos are loaded with brown rice crispies, all natural peanut butter, and agave and smothered in vegan dark chocolate and a pinch of sea salt. An easier, slightly healthier, gluten free take on the classic no bake treat.
Back in the day, my friend Emily (Hiiiiii Emily), and I had dance class at least once a week. Our dance studio was a cute little studio with an awesome little “bakery” attached to it.
I’d always make sure to get to class early to enjoy their candy (peppermint patties pleaseandthankyou), fresh outta the oven chocolate chip cookies, and
They were literally the size of my face.
I mean, what ELSE would you want to eat before dancing for an hour? 😉
Today, I’m taking those as my inspiration, but instead of the usual suspects (ahem, sugar, sugar, corn syrup, and a little more sugar for good measure), we’re making these scotcheroos a little healthier, a little more trendy (helllooo 2018), and dare I say, a little bit MORE delicious?!
Get. In. Mah. Belly.
While Trevor and I aren’t vegan, or even vegetarian, I love love LOVE vegan baking/desserts.
I just think it’s so fun and I love the challenge of adapting something that’s not vegan and figuring out how to make vegan swaps.
Plus, it’s so rewarding when people have no idea that they’re eating a vegan treat.
Some recipes are harder to adapt than others – these vegan banana chocolate chip muffins took me forever and a day to get just right – some recipes are SUPER easy to adapt.
Luckily, today, these vegan scotcheroos fall in the latter category. 🙂
You’ll start by dumping an entire jar of all natural peanut butter – the ingredient list should just be “peanuts” – into a large microwave safe bowl. Initially, I was going to measure out just a cup of peanut butter, but, um, I didn’t feel like dirtying another dish.
To that, you’ll add in agave and just a touch of salt.
Melt that mixture together until it’s smooth and creamy.
Add in some brown rice crispies and give the whole thing a stir.
I HIGHLY recommend stopping and taking a little taste test at this point, because it’s just too good not to. 😉
You’ll then take a 1/4 cup measuring cup and scoop the mixture into a well greased muffin tin.
I chose to make these vegan scotcheroos in a muffin tin, because
- Portion control – because, let’s be real, none of us have any self control over these bad boys
- Cuteness – everything in better in a muffin tin
- Ease – so much easier having individual bites already made, especially if you’re sharing these with a crowd
All that being said, feel free to make these in a 9×13 baking pan.
Once you’ve scooped the mixture into the muffin tin, you’ll make the chocolate-y deliciousness aka vegan dark chocolate chips melted together with a little coconut oil.
Pour that evenly over all the cups and top with a little sea salt – I LOVE this maldon sea salt.
Let everything set up in the fridge, and just a few hours later, you’ll be able to enjoy vegan scotcheroos!
These vegan scotcheroos are ultra peanut buttery, sweet, but not too sweet, and can be enjoyed by all!
A slightly healthier, more delicious, more peanut butter-y, version of a classic, these vegan scotcheroos will definitely be going on the regular dessert rotation.
Do you want more vegan desserts? Show Me the Yummy!
- 1 (16 oz) jar all natural peanut butter room temperature, I like Crazy Richard’s
- 3/4 cup light golden agave
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz) box brown rice crisps cereal about 6 cups, I used One Degree Organic Foods, Veganic Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps
- 2 (10 oz) packages vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Maldon sea salt for garnish
- Grease 2 standard 12 slot muffin tins with cooking spray.*
- Place peanut butter, agave, and salt together in a bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, or until everything is smooth and melty.
- Stir to combine.
- Add in rice crisps cereal and stir to combine.
- Use a heaping 1/4 cup to scoop mixture into prepared pan.**
- Use the back of the measuring cup to firmly compact the mixture.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour evenly over each muffin cup, about 2 tablespoons per cup.***
- Sprinkle with maldon sea salt and chill in fridge until firm.
- Let sit at room temperature for a couple minutes to easily remove the scotcheroos from the muffin tin. I use a knife to help.
- Serve with a little extra salt, if desired, and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed airtight container and let come to room temperature for serving!
*You could also use a jumbo muffin tin. **Use 1/2 cup for jumbo. ***Use 1/4 cup for jumbo.