This is the best Chocolate Mug Cake! It’s moist, rich, ooey-gooey, and packed with chocolate. The perfect personal-sized, microwave dessert!
Finally. A mug cake recipe that ISN’T DRY. You guys. I have tried so many different recipes and they all come out so bland and dry.
My chocolate mug cake couldn’t be further from that. It’s rich, moist, and has a molten like center. This cake is only for chocolate lovers — don’t forget the scoop of ice cream on top!
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like…a cake made in a mug!
Mug cake recipes are designed to be made in the microwave so they’re perfect single-serving desserts that are ready in just a few minutes. Because this recipe is so rich, I actually recommend that you share this with a friend.
This chocolate mug cake takes 5 minutes to mix up and 60 seconds to cook in the microwave! It’s easy, super chocolate-y, and sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!
This personal-sized chocolate mug cake is perfectly moist, ooey-gooey, and so chocolate-y!
- All-Purpose Flour – gives the cake its structure.
- Brown Sugar – adds warmth and sweetness.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – gives the chocolate cake its chocolate flavor.
- Baking Soda – our leavening agent to make sure your mug cake isn’t too dense.
- Salt – cuts the sweetness and enhances flavor.
- Buttermilk – adds a slight tang to balance out the rich chocolate and keeps this cake ultra moist.
- Canola Oil – a neutral flavored oil that adds so much moisture. I don’t recommend substituting with butter, because even though it’s more flavorful, butter won’t create as moist of a cake.
- Vanilla Extract – gives the cake a warmer flavor and additional depth.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks – or chips, if preferred. Feel free to use dark chocolate chips instead. I don’t recommend milk chocolate, because I think it would be far too sweet.
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Topping – use your favorite store-bought kind or whip up a homemade version!
How to make
This chocolate mug cake is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth quickly.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in a large microwave-safe mug.
- Mix in chocolate chunks and top with a dollop of hot fudge sauce.
- Cook in the microwave for 60-90 seconds then serve with ice cream, if desired, and enjoy!
What size mug to use
This recipe is made for a mug that holds at least 16 ounces of liquid. I don’t recommend using a mug smaller than that because the batter will overflow as it cooks in the microwave.
Can a mug cake be made in the oven?
It can, it will just take quite a bit longer than it will if made in the microwave and you may have to use a different dish.
If you’d prefer to make your cake in the oven, bake it at 350ºF for around 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to make vegan
This chocolate mug cake recipe is very easy to make vegan. You’ll need to replace the buttermilk and use dairy free varieties of the chocolate chunks and hot fudge.
To make a vegan “buttermilk”: 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice + your choice of milk filled to the 1 cup line. Let sit for 10 minutes, then measure out desired amount and proceed with the recipe.
- Make it nutty. Replace the hot fudge sauce with a dollop of peanut butter, nutella, or cookie butter.
- Add caramel. Replace the hot fudge sauce with caramel ice cream topping.
- Use different mix-ins. Either sub the chocolate chunks for peanut butter or butterscotch chips or use a combination of a couple.
- Make it minty. Stir in some crushed peppermint candy and/or a drop of peppermint extract.
- Use a microwave-safe mug. Make sure the mug you used is microwave safe before cooking it; otherwise it may crack.
- Don’t over-measure your flour. Too much flour and the cake will be dry and dense.
- Check it after 1 minute. The cake could take anywhere from 60-90 seconds depending on your microwave but check it after the first minute to make sure it doesn’t over cook.
How to store
Since this is a single-serving, 5-minute recipe, no need to store it! You can whip it up right before you’re ready to eat it.
If you don’t finish your cake and do want to save it for later, cover it and keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days, then reheat in the microwave.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour spoon and leveled
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon hot fudge topping
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in a large microwave-safe mug (should be able to hold at least 16 oz of liquid).
- Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Dollop hot fudge sauce in the center.
- Cook in microwave 60 - 90 seconds and add more time as needed. The middle will still be gooey, but the outsides should have a cake-like texture.
- Serve with ice cream.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.