These Grilled Shrimp Skewers are an easy, healthy, delicious summer meal with just seven ingredients including spicy hot sauce, tangy lemon, and fresh cilantro!
Grilling season is the BEST! Why? Because the flavor of grilled food is unlike any other. Also because cooking on the grill is SO easy! And who doesn’t love easy grilling recipes, am I right?
If you love grilling as much as I do, be sure to check out Greek Kebabs, Grilled Corn & Avocado Salsa, and Grilled BBQ Chicken Tacos!
You only need seven ingredients for this recipe! Bonus: you probably already have most of them on hand.
- Shrimp – peeled, deveined, tails on. Fresh or frozen and thawed are both fine.
- Lemon Juice – gives the grilled shrimp some brightness and tanginess.
- Olive Oil – cuts the tang of the lemon juice and rounds out the flavor of the shrimp. Shrimp is super lean, so adding a healthy fat like olive oil helps keep them from getting rubbery.
- Hot Sauce – adds some heat to the grilled shrimp. I love a chipotle hot sauce for a little smokiness!
- Cilantro – provides a fresh and earthy flavor. Some people think cilantro tastes like soap (it’s true!), if you fall in that camp, try fresh parsley instead!
- Garlic – gives the shrimp a nice, nutty taste.
- Salt – highlights all the other flavors of the shrimp marinade.
How to make grilled shrimp skewers
Grilling shrimp doesn’t have to be complicated. Marinate your shrimp, skewer, then grill – use your outdoor grill for warm summer evenings and a grill pan on your stovetop for winter nights. It couldn’t be easier.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Skewer your shrimp. Watch the video below for visuals!
- Cook on a grill or grill pan, flipping halfway through.
- Serve with avocado pesto!
It’s that easy! And the result is a super healthy, super quick and easy, SUPER tasty weeknight meal!
How long do you marinate shrimp before grilling?
Grilling or not, you should marinate your shrimp for no less and no more than 30 minutes! It’s the perfect length of time for the shrimp to really soak up the seasonings without getting mushy. The acid, in this case lemon juice, starts to cook and break down the shrimp.
If your shrimp marinade doesn’t contain anything acidic – lemon, lime, vinegar – you can marinate for up to 8 hours, but be sure to check the recipe to see what the author suggests for each particular marinade!
How to skewer shrimp
- Once the shrimp is marinated, take each piece and hold it so it looks like a “C.”
- Take your skewer and thread it through the center of the “C” so it goes through both sides of the shrimp.
If you’re a visual learner, watch the video for visuals!
You can use metal skewers or bamboo skewers. If using the latter, you’ll need to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight. This keeps the wood from burning on the grill.
How to grill shrimp skewers
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and cook the skewered shrimp on each side for 2-5 minutes!
The cook time does depend on the grill you are using and the size of your shrimp, so make sure you’re keeping on eye on them while they’re cooking so they don’t become tough or burnt.
You’ll know they’re done when the outside of the shrimp turns a nice golden-brown color and the inside of the shrimp is white and opaque!
What to serve with grilled shrimp skewers
There’s so much you can serve with these shrimp skewers, but some of my favorites are:
- Avocado Pesto – SO GOOD as a dipping sauce
- Grilled Potato Salad
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Bruschetta
- Grilled Corn and Avocado Salsa – try this with my air fryer tortilla chips too! SO GOOD!
How to store
These grilled shrimp skewers are best served immediately, although, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, simply pop in the microwave or oven until heated through.
Bring on the summer grilling!
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled, deveined, tails on, I had 26-30 shrimp in my pound
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce I used Tabasco Chipotle
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- avocado pesto for serving
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Skewer onto skewers
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Cook shrimp about 2-5 minutes.
- Flip, then grill an additional 2-5 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Serve with avocado pesto!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post has been updated to provide more detailed content.