This Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and loaded with beef, cheese, and veggies! This hearty comfort food dish is a crowd favorite!
Tater tots, meat, veggies, and cheese – what’s not to love about this crockpot tater tot casserole?! It’s similar to my classic tater tot casserole, but I may love this crockpot version even more, because the slow cooker is my all time fave kitchen appliance. Bonus: this “dump and go” recipe is loved by kids and adults alike!
This humble ingredient list creates a hearty dinner that’s absolutely packed with flavor!
- Ground Beef – use lean ground beef so there’s not quite as much grease to drain. If you’re looking for a more budget friendly option, use a fattier beef and drain off the excess grease.
- Yellow Onion, Red Bell Pepper, and Green Bell Pepper – a sweet and colorful veggie blend to give the tater tot casserole color, texture, and nutrients.
- Minced Garlic – adds a subtle nuttiness.
- Salt and Pepper – brings out flavor and adds a touch of heat.
- Cream of Chicken Soup and Milk – gives the casserole great flavor and a creamy texture.
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds a sweet, tangy flavor to balance the richness of the condensed soup.
- Green Beans – use canned green beans for easy prep!
- Frozen Tater Tots – no need to thaw, they cook directly in the crockpot.
- Cheddar Cheese – adds a sharp, bold cheese flavor and melty, creamy texture.
How to make
This crockpot tater tot casserole comes together with just 15 minutes of prep!
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat then add in beef, onion, bell peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat has cooked through.
- Drain the grease then stir in soup, milk, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray then pour in half of the frozen tater tots. Spread them into an even layer.
- Layer on 1/2 of the green beans, sprinkle with salt, then top with 1/2 of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat the layers once more.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 6 hours then let sit for 15 minutes to thicken before serving!
Can you use fresh green beans?
I like to use canned green beans since they don’t require any prep, but you can absolutely use fresh green beans if preferred. If you’re using fresh green beans, you’ll need to prep them first: wash, dry, snap off the ends, and cut them in half (if desired).
Can you use frozen green beans?
You can use frozen green beans as a last resort, but you may end up with a slightly looser casserole due to excess water from the frozen beans.
Can you bake crockpot tater tot casserole?
You sure can! Check out my oven-baked tater tot casserole recipe instead. It’s quicker if you’re in a rush and the tater tots get golden brown and crispy!
I love all of the flavors and textures already present in this tater tot casserole recipe but feel free to switch things up if you’re looking for something a little different!
- Add other veggies. Add in sliced mushrooms, broccoli florets, or even jalapeños for a spicy kick.
- Use another cheese. Swap the sharp cheddar for monterey-jack, white cheddar, gouda, etc.
- Add another meat. Try diced ham, ground turkey, or shredded chicken.
- Make it vegetarian. Sub the ground beef for a meatless variety or try it with cooked lentils or beans instead.
What to serve with crockpot tater tot casserole
I like to serve my tater tot casserole with garlic bread or a more veggie heavy side!
- Pear, Blue Cheese, Candied Pecan Salad
- Roasted Vegetables
- Instant Pot Broccoli
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
How to store
Leftover crockpot tater tot casserole will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or bake to warm.
Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (22.6 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans green beans drained
- 1 (32 oz) package frozen tater tots
- 1 (8 oz) block cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in beef, onion, bell peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, breaking up the beef as you go, until the meat has cooked through.
- Drain the grease, then stir in soup, milk, and worcestershire sauce.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary. Set aside.
- Grease a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray, then pour in 1/2 the frozen tater tots; spread them out into an even layer.
- Layer with 1/2 the green beans, then sprinkle with salt.
- Top with 1/2 the beef mixture, then 1/2 the cheese.
- Repeat the layers: tater tots, green beans, salt, beef mixture, cheese.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Remove lid and let sit for 15 minutes or so to let thicken.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.