This Chicken Divan is ready in under an hour! Rotisserie chicken is baked with broccoli in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with buttery Ritz crackers.
If it’s snowing where you are, then you need to make this chicken divan ASAP. It’s the perfect cozy, comfort food that’s ready in about an hour with only 15 minutes of prep!
What is chicken divan?
Chicken divan is a type of chicken casserole typically made with a creamy cheese sauce and broccoli then topped with crispy breadcrumbs or crackers. Today, we’re using rotisserie chicken for easy prep and Ritz crackers for an extra butter-y, flake-y texture.
This chicken divan casserole is so creamy, cheesy, and flavorful…all thanks to this simple but delicious ingredient list!
- Cream of Mushroom Soup, Sour Cream, and Milk – a creamy, tangy, and delicious base for the sauce.
- Salt, Paprika, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder – a flavorful yet simple seasoning blend to really take this recipe to the next level.
- Broccoli – I use frozen broccoli florets and steam them until they’re crisp-tender. Feel free to use fresh and again, cook until they’re crisp-tender.
- Chicken – use a store-bought cooked rotisserie chicken for easy prep.
- Cheddar Cheese – added to both the creamy sauce and used to top off the casserole.
- Unsalted Butter and Ritz Crackers – sprinkled over the casserole for a crispy, golden-brown finish.
How to make
15 minutes of prep required for this simple comfort food dinner!
- Place soup, sour cream, milk, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Mix in chopped broccoli, cubed chicken, and 1/2 the cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Melt butter and mix with crushed Ritz crackers.
- Sprinkle the cracker mixture over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes then serve and enjoy!
Do you use fresh or frozen broccoli?
You can use either fresh or frozen broccoli for this casserole. I chose to use frozen broccoli for this recipe to keep the prep quick and easy, but fresh broccoli would work as well!
Either way, you will want to cook the broccoli until it’s crisp-tender, drain out excess moisture, then chop it into bite sized pieces.
- Add a carb. Serve it over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes.
- Try a different cheese. Monterey jack, pepper jack, white cheddar, etc.
- Swap the spices. Try Cajun or even Ranch seasoning to switch things up.
What to serve with chicken divan
I love to serve my chicken divan over a bed of rice to fill out the meal. It would also be delicious served over egg noodles, regular noodles, potatoes, or even quinoa!
If you’re looking for some yummy sides to serve up alongside this recipe, here are some ideas!
How to store
Store leftover chicken divan in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, microwave or heat on the stove.
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen broccoli florets cooked until crisp tender according to package directions, drained, then roughly chopped
- 4 cups cubed and cooked chicken I used 1 small rotisserie (about 1 pound)
- 1 (8 oz) block Cheddar cheese shredded and divided in 1/2
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place soup, sour cream, milk, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder into a large bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Stir in chopped broccoli, cubed chicken, and 1/2 the cheese.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese. Set aside.
- Melt butter and mix with the crushed ritz crackers.
- Sprinkle over the chicken mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through and lightly brown.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.