This is the BEST Chicken Parmesan! You’re only 45 minutes away from crispy chicken topped with marinara and ooey-gooey cheeses. Serve with pasta for the perfect weeknight dinner.
This is the best chicken parmesan ever! Super tender and crispy chicken, ooey-gooey, melty cheeses, spaghetti and marinara…I mean, what’s not to love?
What is chicken parmesan?
Traditional chicken parmesan is fried and breaded chicken breast topped with marinara sauce and melted parmesan cheese. It’s a classic Italian American dish that was inspired by a traditional Italian dish, Eggplant Parmigiana.
Chicken parmesan is often served over a plate of spaghetti pasta, which is what we’re doing today!
Is there a difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana?
Nope! They are exactly the same recipe. The only difference is the spelling. 😉
This recipe is made with super simple, but incredibly flavorful ingredients.
- All-Purpose Flour, Salt, and Pepper – flavors and coats the chicken, so the egg mixture can stick.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – creates a light and crispy exterior for the perfect crunch!
- Salt, Pepper, Dried Basil, and Italian Seasoning – this simple seasoning blend really packs a flavor punch!
- Egg and Buttermilk – adds moisture to the chicken and helps to crisp up the breading. The acidity in the buttermilk also helps break down the chicken allowing it to absorb even more moisture.
- Parmesan, Mozzarella Cheese, and Provolone Cheese – our cheese blend. The parmesan adds an amazing saltiness while the mozzarella and provolone give that ooey-gooey texture we all love.
- Chicken Breast – boneless, skinless and thinly sliced for even cooking.
- Olive Oil – promotes browning and crispness to the breading, while also preventing the chicken from sticking to the pan.
- Spaghetti – or your favorite type of pasta, if preferred, but spaghetti is classic!
- Pasta Sauce – feel free to whip up some homemade pasta sauce or use your favorite store-bought version!
- Fresh Basil – for garnish. Adds some herbaceous freshness!
How to make chicken parmesan
Bread the chicken, fry it up, top with cheese, bake, and serve!
- Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper on one plate, eggs and milk in a bowl, and panko, salt, Italian seasoning, dried basil, and parmesan cheese on another plate.
- Bread sliced chicken breasts in flour, eggs, then breadcrumb mixture and let them sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet then cook the chicken until golden-brown, adding oil as needed.
- Place the cooked chicken on a prepared baking sheet and top with pasta sauce, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan.
- Bake until chicken has cooked through and cheese has melted then serve and enjoy!
What chicken to use
Use 6 (1/4 inch) thick slices of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. This ensures quick and easy cooking.
If you’re using chicken that is thicker than 1/4-inch, keep in mind that the cook time will vary. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check that your chicken has reached a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF before serving!
Do you make chicken parm covered or uncovered?
It is not necessary to cover the chicken when baking.
However, if you do notice that the cheese is starting to brown before it is fully melted feel free to cover the pan with tin foil for the remaining cook time.
Why was my chicken dry?
There may be a couple reasons as to why your chicken came out dry.
- You overcooked it. Since the chicken is thinly sliced, it cooks very quickly. One or two minutes per side and you should be good to go! Any longer than that and the chicken can start to dry out.
- You didn’t let it sit. After you dredge the chicken in the egg/buttermilk and flour/breadcrumb mixtures, make sure you let it sit for 15 minutes. This really allows the chicken to soak up the moisture and flavor so it’s ultra-tender and delicious.
How to serve
The chicken topped with marinara and cheese is absolutely delicious on it’s own, but it’s often served over a plate of spaghetti—which is my favorite way to enjoy it!
You can also serve it over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or even make it into a sandwich on your favorite bread!
What to serve with chicken parmesan
This chicken parmesan pasta is obviously perfect on its own. 😉 But I do love to whip up some yummy side dishes to have with it!
Can you meal prep chicken parmesan?
To prep the chicken for meals later on, make it all the way through the breading process then store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, fry, then bake with toppings at 425ºF until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. This may take a little bit of extra time so make sure the chicken is at least 165ºF before serving!
Can chicken parmesan be made ahead of time?
You can make the chicken the day before you want to serve it. Just prepare the chicken as directed, prep the chicken with marinara and cheese on your baking pan, then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
When you’re ready to serve, bake as directed and enjoy!
How to store
Store leftover chicken parmesan (without the pasta) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen then either microwave or warm in the oven until heated through.
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 7 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless thinly sliced chicken breasts *
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil divided + more as needed
- 6 tablespoons pasta sauce + more for serving
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 6 tablespoons freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil for serving
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and grease an unlined rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper on a large shallow plate. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together panko, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, Italian seasoning, basil, and 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese on another large shallow plate. Set aside.
- Bread breasts in flour, eggs, then breadcrumb mixture, then place them onto a clean work surface and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook chicken until golden, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Then repeat with remaining chicken breasts, adding oil to the sauté pan as needed.
- Place chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top each breast with 1 tablespoon pasta sauce.
- Then top each breast with 1/2 slice provolone, 1 tablespoon mozzarella, and 1/2 tablespoon parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven until the chicken has cooked through and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh basil, hot pasta, and more pasta sauce. Enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.