These BBQ Chickpea Pinwheels are the best quick, easy, hand held, vegetarian snack for your next tailgating session!
Today’s recipe is sponsored by our friends at Stubb’s BBQ. Their BBQ is perfect for football season!
How the heck is it football season already? While I may not care much about the actual game (sorry football lovers), I DO care about the snacks that will be eaten during the game.
Please tell me I’m not alone.
This year, Trevor and I are determined to bring our tailgating A game.
I’m already brainstorming all the snacks I’m going to make: Crockpot Chex Mix, One Bowl Brownies, Queso, and now, these BBQ Chickpea PinWheels <— because you can’t tailgate without a recipe containing cream cheese and BBQ flavors, amiright?!
These little pinwheels are perfect for snacking while standing (and let’s be real, probably holding an adult beverage in the other hand) and can definitely be made for a crowd.
Tortillas + cream cheese + a few other mixins…. what’s not to love?!
Pinwheels have always been one of my all time favorite snacks. They’re easy to eat, can make a enough for two or enough for a crowd, and hellooooo it’s tortillas and cream cheese. I mean. Y.U.M.
Every time I’ve made pinwheels, however, they’re either
A. Made with chicken
B. Vegetarian, with no protein whatsoever.
While these BBQ Chickpea Pinwheels aren’t healthy in the least 😉 , I wanted to up the protein to keep everyone full longer AND still keep them vegetarian.
You guyyyyys. Chickpeas are like my fave vegetarian protein source.
They’re versatile and just so so yummy.
While the chickpeas are the star of this recipe, the other ingredients include: cream cheese, Stubb’s Bar-B-Q Spice Rub <– a perfect blend of sea salt, paprika and black pepper, monterey jack cheese, flour tortillas, celery, cilantro, red onion, and extra Stubb’s BBQ sauce for dipping, of course.
All you’re gonna do is mix together softened cream cheese, jack cheese, and the BBQ seasoning together, which, btw Stubb’s rubs are a great way to EASILY add flavor (but not the fat, calories, artificial flavors, etc. that are often found in other brands) to all your fave tailgating foods. Spread that creamy, smokey, cheesy deliciousness on the flour tortilla <– OMG, then sprinkle on the hearty chickpeas, crunchy celery, fresh cilantro, and bright red onion.
Roll ’em, slice ’em, serve ’em, and you.are.DONE!
As you can see, these BBQ Chickpea Pinwheels are ridiculously quick and easy to put together.
Even better? They’re totally delicious. I love the combination of the tangy cream cheese, the slightly smokey perfectly spiced rub, the hearty chickpeas, and the fresh, crunchy celery.
It’s just the perfect tailgating food and I promise everyone will love ’em.
I don’t know what team you’re rooting for, but I’m totally team BBQ Chickpea Pinwheels. 😉
BBQ Chickpea Pinwheels Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons Stubb’s Bar-B-Q Spice Rub start with 1 1/2 tablespoons and add more to taste
- 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 2 (12 inch) flour tortillas chimichanga size
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/3 cup Cilantro minced
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas drained, rinsed, and dried
- Stubb's BBQ Sauce optional for dipping
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the cream cheese, spice rub, and jack cheese.
- Evenly spread the mixture onto the tortillas.
- Evenly sprinkle on the celery, cilantro, red onion, and chickpeas.
- Roll, slice (see photos above for visuals), and serve immediately with Stubb's BBQ Sauce for dipping or place in sealed tupperware containers in the fridge.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to Stubb’s BBQ for sponsoring today’s recipe.