This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is made with only 5 ingredients! This easy dinner recipe is kid friendly and so versatile — serve on tacos, over nachos, as sandwiches, you name it!
I have always loved my crockpot BBQ chicken…it’s versatile, it’s flavorful, it’s easy to make…But sometimes there’s just one small problem: it takes a while to cook. That’s great if you have time and you want an easy, hands-off recipe. It’s not so great if you are in a bit of a hurry…
Enter this instant pot BBQ chicken! Just as flavorful and delicious but ready in 30 minutes!
Only 5 ingredients necessary to make ultra moist bbq chicken!
- Chicken Broth – gives the chicken moisture and tons of flavor. The broth also acts as the liquid in the instant pot which is needed to properly pressure cook the meat!
- Chicken Breast – boneless, skinless chicken breast is used in the original recipe, but boneless, skinless chicken thighs will work as well.
- BBQ Sauce – use your favorite variety! I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Original and it was delicious. Whatever BBQ sauce you use, you’ll need a 28 oz bottle.
- Chipotle Hot Sauce – gives the BBQ chicken a smoky flavor and a kick of heat. I used Tabasco.
- BBQ Seasoning – adds another layer of sweet, smoky, spicy flavor to the sauce. Again, use your favorite blend, but I used McCormick Grill Mates BBQ Dry Rub which can be found in the spice aisle.
How to make
The perfect BBQ shredded chicken in 30 minutes? Count me in!
- Grease a 6 quart instant pot with cooking spray then add in chicken broth and chicken breasts.
- Layer on BBQ sauce, hot sauce, and BBQ seasoning but don’t stir then cover and lock the lid. Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release, shred the chicken, then serve and enjoy!
Does bbq sauce count as liquid in the instant pot?
No — it’s too thick. That’s what the chicken broth is for. In order to come to pressure and function properly, instant pots need liquid. BBQ sauce is too thick to be used as your liquid and you will get a “BURN” notice.
How to shred instant pot chicken
You can easily shred your BBQ chicken directly in the instant pot either using two forks or a hand-mixer.
If you’re using two forks, hold one fork in each hand and use them to pull the chicken apart. You can also hold the chicken down with one fork and use the other to pull shreds off.
If you’re using your hand-mixer, set it on low and use the beaters to gently shred the chicken.
Do you need an instant pot to make bbq chicken?
No, if you don’t have an instant pot, try out my crockpot BBQ chicken instead.
You can also make it on the stove or bake it in the oven. Check out my shredded chicken recipe or buffalo chicken recipe for inspiration!
How to serve instant pot bbq chicken
- On salad. Serve it over a bed of lettuce with corn, beans, chips, and cilantro lime dressing.
- In tacos. Check out my grilled bbq chicken tacos for topping inspiration!
- As sandwiches. Serve it as an appetizer in slider buns or as an entree in your favorite hamburger buns.
- On pizza. Check out my bbq chicken pizza.
- Over nachos. Use it as a topping for loaded nachos!
How to store
Leftover BBQ chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or warm on the stove with a splash of chicken broth if necessary.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 (8 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (28 oz) bottle BBQ sauce I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Original
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce I used Tabasco Chipotle
- 1 tablespoon bbq seasoning I used McCormick Grill Mates BBQ Dry Rub
- Grease a 6 quart Instant Pot with cooking spray.
- Pour in chicken broth, then top with chicken breasts.
- Layer on BBQ sauce, hot sauce, and bbq seasoning — don’t stir, this helps avoid a BURN reading.
- Cover and lock the lid — be sure the pressure valve is pointing toward SEALING.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes, then flip the valve to do a quick release.
- Shred chicken directly in the Instant Pot, taste and re-season, if necessary, then serve as desired and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.