These Air Fryer Mushrooms are crispy on the outside and juicy in the middle. Baby Bella mushrooms are tossed in a homemade breading then air fried until golden and delicious!
Any time I see fried mushrooms on the menu, I NEVER order them, but inevitably someone in my group does and I’m always SO jealous — they’re hot and juicy in the middle and the outside is always golden and fried to absolute perfection. Today’s air fryer mushrooms recipe is just as delicious, but they’re easy to make and bonus: way healthier!
Less than 10 every day ingredients required to make juicy, yet crispy air fried mushrooms!
- Panko Breadcrumbs and All-Purpose Flour – the base for the breading which provide a golden-brown color and crispy texture to the outside of the mushrooms.
- Grated Parmesan – adds a delicious nutty, cheesy flavor that pairs beautifully with the mushrooms and seasonings.
- Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix and Salt – a quick and easy seasoning blend that really packs a punch!
- Eggs – help the breading stick to the mushrooms.
- Mushrooms – use whole baby Bella mushrooms for the best flavor and perfect popable size, but white button mushrooms will work as well.
- Ranch Dressing – for serving, if desired. Use my homemade ranch or a store-bought variety, if preferred!
How to make
This super delicious air fryer appetizer takes just 25 minutes to come together.
- Place panko, flour, parmesan, ranch seasoning mix, and salt into a ziplock baggie then seal and shake until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs then add in mushrooms and stir until fully coated.
- Pour the mushrooms into the panko mixture in the ziplock baggie, seal, then shake until the mushrooms are fully coated.
- Working with one mushroom at a time, grab them by the stem and press the cap into the panko mixture to help the breading stick.
- Working in batches, place the mushrooms in a single layer in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve with ranch and enjoy!
How to clean mushrooms
The best way to clean mushrooms is to use a damp rag or paper towel to gently rub them until clean.
You can rinse the mushrooms but you want to do it very quickly. I don’t recommend soaking them in water, because mushrooms are like sponges! The more water they absorb, the less flavor they can soak in.
Can you stack mushrooms in the air fryer?
You never want to stack food in the air fryer. Giving the mushrooms space in the air fryer allows the hot air to reach the outside of the whole thing, not just a portion. This ensures that they’re super crispy all around!
Can you air fry frozen mushrooms?
Yes! Pre-made frozen breaded mushrooms or frozen battered mushrooms are great in the air fryer:
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the basket with cooking spray, then place in a single layer of frozen mushrooms.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes or until the insides have heated through and the outsides are crispy.
What to serve with air fryer mushrooms
I love to serve air fryer mushrooms as a party appetizer alongside other yummy finger foods!
How to store
Fried mushrooms are best served immediately, but leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then bake or air fry to warm and re-crisp.
Air Fryer Mushrooms
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 (1 oz) packets dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 (10 oz) containers baby bella mushrooms washed and dried
- Ranch dressing for serving
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F and grease the basket with cooking spray.
- Place panko, flour, parmesan, ranch seasoning mix, and salt into a ziplock baggie.
- Seal and shake until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together until well combined.
- Add in mushrooms and stir until fully coated.
- Pour the coated mushrooms into the ziplock baggie with the panko mixture.
- Seal and shake until the mushrooms are fully coated.
- Working with one at a time, grab a mushroom by the stem and gently press the cap into the panko mixture (this helps more of the breading stick to the mushroom).
- Place a single layer of mushrooms into the air fryer and air fry for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from air fryer, keep warm in the oven, and repeat with remaining mushrooms.*
- Serve with ranch dressing and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.