This sweet potato casserole is full of roasted sweet potatoes, cashews, coconut, and marshmallows and is smothered in a brown sugar, cinnamon, butter sauce!
I know I’ve been hitting you guys hard with the Thanksgiving recipes lately, but Thanksgiving is obviously on my mind, and I can’t not share these recipes with you! Don’t worry, on Monday we’ll take a little break and I’m sharing a super yummy pasta recipe that I think you guys will absolutely love.
In the meantime, however, let’s talk about this sweet potato casserole.
It’s totally yum.
It’s sweet, crunchy, cinnamon-y, and not mushy. Nope not at all.
This sweet potato casserole also has a few twists that I hope you love as much as I do!
Are you ready?
Twists in this sweet potato casserole recipe include roasting vs. pureeing/mashing, cashews, and coconut <— y.u.m.
While I love my mashed potatoes really creamy and smooth, for whatever reason, I am completely put off by really creamy sweet potatoes. Maybe someday I’ll change my mind, but for now, whipped sweet potatoes taste like baby food to me. 🙊
Am I crazy?
For today’s recipe, however, we’re keeping things not mushy, by cubing our sweet potatoes and roasting them in the oven.
But before these sweet potatoes get nice and roast-y, we need to whip up a quick sauce.
This sauce includes evaporated milk, brown sugar, plenty of butt-ah, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper – for just the teeny tiniest little kick. All the yummy, warm, cozy flavors you love about sweet potato casserole. This sauce gets tossed with the sweet potatoes, then gets roasted until tender.
The next step is topping the potatoes with cashews – for a salty crunch, sweetened coconut flakes – for a sweet, chewy amazingness, and of course, marshmallows, because that’s just what you do.
Now, I know the whole marshmallows on sweet potato casserole is kind of a controversial subject. 😉
For me, sweet potato casserole means lots and lots…and lots of marshmallows.
After we top the casserole with the cashews, coconut, and marshmallows, we bake the whole thing until the marshmallows are golden and delicious. 🙂
Then it’s time to serve it up!
Let me just say, this is probably the most “textured” sweet potato casserole I’ve ever had! The roasted sweet potatoes are tender, but have juuuust a little bite. And the crunchy cashews, chewy coconut, and melty marshmallows really take this over the top!
Turkey? What turkey? 😉 I’m eating all-the-potatoes.
BTW – I used this 9 x 13 in baking dish, because it’s pretty enough to serve this sweet potato casserole in! 🙂
What’s your favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes? Show me the yummy!
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (4.5 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste after roasting
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup roasted salted cashews roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 26 regular sized marshmallows more or less to taste,
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 in baking dish and place cubed potatoes into the dish.
- Combine milk, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and spices in small saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, whisking regularly.
- Boil for 60 seconds.
- Pour over potatoes and toss to coat.
- Bake potatoes, uncovered, for about 50-60 minutes, gently stirring halfway through, or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven and stir the potatoes again.
- Season with more salt, if necessary.
- Increase the temperature to 500°F.
- Sprinkle potatoes with coconut and cashews.
- Place marshmallows on top of that.
- Return to oven and bake until marshmallows begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.