Sweet Potato Casserole
This sweet potato casserole is full of roasted sweet potatoes, cashews, coconut, and marshmallows and is smothered in a brown sugar, cinnamon, butter sauce!
Servings: 12 people
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into 1 inch chunks
- 1 (4.5 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste after roasting
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup roasted salted cashews roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 26 regular sized marshmallows more or less to taste,
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Grease a 9 x 13 in baking dish and place cubed potatoes into the dish.
Combine milk, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and spices in small saucepan.
Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, whisking regularly.
Boil for 60 seconds.
Pour over potatoes and toss to coat.
Bake potatoes, uncovered, for about 50-60 minutes, gently stirring halfway through, or until potatoes are tender.
Remove from the oven and stir the potatoes again.
Season with more salt, if necessary.
Increase the temperature to 500°F.
Sprinkle potatoes with coconut and cashews.
Place marshmallows on top of that.
Return to oven and bake until marshmallows begin to brown, about 3 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 290mg | Potassium: 632mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 21475IU | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 1.8mg