This Healthy Alfredo Sauce is a significantly lightened up version of a classic (helloooo only 530 calories for the ENTIRE recipe). Made with skim milk, broth, greek yogurt, and parmesan, this alfredo sauce will surely impress without the guilt!
Healthy Alfredo Sauce. Sounds like an oxymoron, yes? But it’s not. This alfredo sauce is, in fact, healthy! It’s also super yummy, super easy, and super tasty on things like whole wheat pasta and pizza (recipe coming Wednesday!).
Honestly, I’ve never been a huge fan of alfredo. Growing up, per my request I’m sure, my family and I would go to the Olive Garden for dinner. I would always order their Zuppa Toscana ♡, my brother, on the other hand, would always, always, always order their fettuccine alfredo. At one point, I actually think he found a “copy cat” recipe and made it at home.
That being said, for whatever reason, I had a huge craving for some c.r.e.a.m.y. and delicious fettuccine alfredo the other day.
What I didn’t want, was a heavy cream, cream cheese filled sauce that would make me feel too full and weigh me down.
I mean. There’s a time and place for the full fat, heavy cream alfredo sauce, because it IS delicious, but spring is literally right around the corner, so something light was a must.
This Healthy Alfredo Sauce is lightened up with skim milk and your choice of broth (chicken or veggie for flava), but is kept creamy with the help of non fat plain greek yogurt, and just a teeny tiny touch of parmesan cheese.
Healthy Alfredo Sauce? Gimme.
The weather around here – Wisconsin – is seriously messing with me. One day it’s 55 and sunny and literally the next day it’s below freezing and snowing.
I really don’t mind the winter weather for the most part, mainly because there is nothing cuter than watching Teddy romp around in the snow.
I’m ready for some consistency and I’m ready for cute dress, flip flop weather. Anyone with me?
I’m also ready – I think – to move past the stick-to-your-ribs, ultra warm and cozy recipes and move on to the bright, sunny, refreshing recipes. The best part about spring is that you can still have a little of both, right? 🙂
This Healthy Alfredo Sauce is the p.e.r.f.e.c.t. combination.
It’s still warm and cozy, but it’s totally light.
Did I mention it’s easy, too?!
Here’s the deal.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, stir in cornstarch. This will help the alfredo sauce thicken.
Now whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, stir in greek yogurt, parmesan, and seasonings and you.are.done!
Ahhh. Don’t you just ♡ quick and easy recipes? I do! 🙋
Now. Lemme just say. This is NOT as thick and creamy as your typical alfredo sauce, but that’s to be expected! We’re not using butter, heavy cream, or cream cheese.
But I promise you, you’ll love it just as much. Although it’s not as thick and creamy, this Healthy Alfredo Sauce is still plenty thick and creamy, packed with flavor, and is amazing over whole wheat fettuccine.
And don’t forget. It’s great on pizza, too… come back Wednesday for the recipe! In the meantime, eat this with noodles and be oh so happy.
What are your favorite dishes that you would like to see lightened up? Show me the yummy!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup non fat plain greek yogurt room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 - 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with cornstarch and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- While whisking, slowly add in broth and milk.
- Continue whisking to combine until smooth.
- Raise heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Once simmering, simmer for about 2 minutes, until it starts to thickened, again, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and little by little, whisk in greek yogurt.
- Once combined, place back on the heat (medium) and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for an additional 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Serve over pasta* immediately or let cool completely (so it can thicken) and serve as a pizza sauce and enjoy!
- If not using immediately, store in airtight container in fridge.