This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe is a healthy twist on the classic beef stroganoff and it’s loaded with tons of mushrooms, spices, almond milk, and a little splash of wine! Serve it over pasta, spaghetti squash, mashed potatoes . . . the choice is yours!
I took a classic – beef stroganoff – and health-i-fied/vegan-i-fied it.
And . . .
it . . .
is . . .
While Trevor and I are not vegan (or even vegetarian), we do enjoy eating meatless at least a couple times a week. While we both do LOVE meat, some of our favorite dishes just happen to be vegetarian or vegan:
Paneer Tikka Masala <– heaven on a platter
and now, of course,
this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff.
Whether you’re vegan or not, I promise you, you’re going to fall head over heels for this meatless stroganoff.
The day this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe was born, the weather was cold, snow-y, and just overall dreary.
You know what that means?
You know what that means?
Summer is going to be here before you know it, so that means taking comfort food and health-i-fying it just a bit.
Who’s with me?
It starts with a little coconut oil <– melt it.
Then onion and spices happen: salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, paprika <– cook it.
Next some vegetable broth, almond milk, white wine and cornstarch get added to the mix <– whisk it.
Then, the main event, the mushrooms <– buy pre-sliced baby bellas to keep this Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff ultra easy and ultra flavorful.
This mixture simmers until the sauce is thick and the mushrooms are tender and then all that’s left is to stir in a teeny tiny touch of vegan cream cheese.
Serve it over pasta, spaghetti squash, mashed potatoes . . . the choice is yours!
The result is an ultra creamy, pretty darn healthy, full of flavor, amazingly textured: Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff.
Make it. Love it. Devour it. 😉
Should I make more vegan friendly pastas? What should I make next? Show Me the Yummy!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 (8 oz) packages sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese melted in the microwave
- In a large stockpot, melt oil over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in onions and spices, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until onions start to soften. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Slowly whisk in broth, milk, and white wine.
- Whisk in cornstarch.
- Add in mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 8 minutes or until the mushrooms are looked to your liking.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the melted cream cheese.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, and serve over pasta/potatoes/spaghetti squash!