Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a vegetable side dish packed with sour cream, cheddar cheese, broccoli, and finished off with a crispy crushed Cheez-It topping!
This humble comfort food makes the BEST veggie side dish for any meal.
- Unsalted Butter – used to cook the onion and to bind together the crushed cheese-itz for the topping.
- Yellow Onion – adds a sweet, caramel-y flavor. Sautéed in a little butter for the best flavor and texture.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup – creates an ultra creamy sauce for the casserole. Not a fan of mushroom soup? Try your favorite condensed soup instead!
- Mayonnaise – adds an additional creamy texture and a rich, full bodied flavor.
- Sour Cream – adds a much needed tang to balance out the rich flavors.
- Egg – helps bind the ingredients together.
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika, and Garlic Powder – a simple but effective seasoning blend.
- Frozen Broccoli Florets – keeps this casserole insanely easy. Cooked according to package direction, then drained before being incorporated into the casserole.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – or whatever flavor you prefer. Either way, I highly recommend shredding your own since pre-shredded cheese can be somewhat gritty.
- Cheez-Its – crushed up and sprinkled over the top of the casserole for a crispy and extra cheesy finish!
How to make
This recipe requires 15 minutes of prep and is ready to serve in under an hour!
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat then add in onions and cook until tender.
- Transfer the onions to a large mixing bowl then add in soup, mayo, sour cream, egg, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine then mix in broccoli and cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, crush cheese-itz then mix in 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Sprinkle the cheese-itz evenly over the casserole, bake, then serve and enjoy!
Can you use fresh broccoli?
Yes! I like to use frozen broccoli for easy prep but if you prefer fresh broccoli feel free to use that instead.
What cheese to use
Sharp cheddar cheese is the best cheese to use for broccoli cheese casserole, because its sharp, tangy flavor contrasts really well with the rich, creamy filling. If you prefer a different type of cheese, feel free to use that instead. Mild cheddar, gruyere, pepperjack, you name it!
What to serve with broccoli cheese casserole
This broccoli cheese casserole is delicious next to virtually any dinner. The possibilities are endless! Here are some of my favorite main and side dishes to pair along with it.
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Crockpot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Veggies
- Pear, Blue Cheese, Candied Pecan Salad
- Garlic Bread
Can you make broccoli cheese casserole ahead of time?
To prep this recipe ahead of time, assemble the casserole as directed but, before baking, cover and store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
When you’re ready to serve, bring to room temperature and bake as directed!
How to store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
To enjoy again, thaw in the fridge if frozen then bake or microwave to warm.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1/2 cup = 1 stick
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 (12 oz) packages frozen broccoli florets cooked until crisp tender according to package directions, drained, then roughly chopped
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Cheez-Its
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onions and cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl, then add in mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, egg, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Whisk until combined.
- Stir in broccoli and cheese.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together crushed cheez-its and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.