This Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic family favorite that only requires 20 minutes of prep! Chicken is rolled with ham and melty Swiss cheese then baked to golden-brown, crispy perfection!
Anybody else grow up eating frozen chicken cordon bleu from the Schwan’s man?! Between that, the cheese stuffed pretzels, and the mint chocolate drumsticks, I was in kid HEAVEN.
While I’ll always hold a special place in my heart for the frozen variety, this homemade chicken cordon bleu is healthier—thanks to baking instead of frying— and dare I say…even more delicious!
What is chicken cordon bleu?
A cordon bleu is a dish of breaded meat (often veal, pork, or chicken) rolled up with cheese, and sometimes ham, then fried.
This recipe is prepared mostly that same way but the meat of choice is chicken and instead of frying the chicken, we’re baking it!
What does cordon bleu mean?
“Cordon Bleu” is a French term that translates to “blue ribbon” which, when applied to cooking, basically means really good food.
And that’s exactly what this chicken cordon bleu is…really good food! 😉
This chicken cordon bleu recipe is made up of the simplest ingredients but has flavor that is far from simple!
- All-Purpose Flour, Salt, Pepper, Paprika, and Garlic Powder – make up a delicious and flavorful breading for the chicken. This flavors the chicken and also helps the egg stick.
- Egg – helps bind the breading to the outside of the chicken and makes it extra crispy.
- Buttermilk – the acidity in the buttermilk helps break down the chicken so it can soak up even more moisture and flavor.
- Panko and Parmesan – creates a crispy and flavorful crust! I use the seasoned breadcrumbs for extra flavor.
- Chicken Breasts – sliced thinly (about 1/4-inch thick.)
- Swiss Cheese and Ham – the classic pairing for cordon bleu. The swiss cheese is ooey-gooey and the ham provides a savory, salty flavor!
- Honey Mustard Dressing – for serving! Trust me. It’s awesome. I use my homemade honey mustard recipe.
How to make
Bread, stuff, roll, bake, and serve!
- Whisk together flour, salt, paprika, and garlic powder on a plate, egg and buttermilk in a medium-sized bowl, and Panko, parmesan, and additional salt on another plate.
- Bread the chicken in the flour mixture, the milk mixture, and then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Top each chicken breast with one slice of cheese and one slice of ham.
- Roll up each breast then place them seam-side down on a greased baking sheet. Secure with a toothpick.
- Spray each breast with cooking spray, bake until the chicken is cooked through, then serve and enjoy!
How thinly should you slice the chicken breasts?
Each chicken slice should be about 1/4-inch thick. Any thicker and it will be difficult to roll up with the ham and cheese.
How long to cook
Your chicken should cook anywhere from 20-35 minutes in a 350 degree F oven, depending on the thickness of the slices and how tightly they’re rolled. You’ll know it’s done when the outside of the chicken is turning golden-brown and crispy and the inside is no longer pink.
What cheese to use
The classic cheese for cordon bleu is Swiss cheese, which is what we’re using today!
If that’s not your thing, other cheeses will work too! Try provolone, pepper jack, mozzarella, cheddar, etc.
What to serve with chicken cordon bleu
I love to serve my chicken cordon bleu up with my homemade honey mustard sauce and one or two light and fresh side dishes! Here are some of my favorites!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Veggies
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Pear, Blue Cheese, Candied Pecan Salad
How to store
Store leftover chicken cordon bleu in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight if frozen then bake to warm. Microwaving also works but it won’t be quite as crispy.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons parmesan
- 6 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts each should be 1/4 inch thick (this was 2 pounds of chicken for me)
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices ham
- Honey mustard dressing for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an unlined baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder on a large shallow plate.
- Whisk together egg and milk in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together panko, parmesan, and 1/2 teaspoon salt on another large shallow plate. Set aside.
- Bread chicken in flour, milk mixture, then panko.
- Place 1 slice of cheese and 1 slice of ham onto each breaded chicken breast.
- Roll up each breast, place seam size down onto prepared baking sheet, and secure with a toothpick.
- Spray the top of each breast with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove toothpicks before serving with honey mustard dressing!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.