These peanut butter oatmeal cookies might just be the perfect cookie. Loaded with peanut butter, dark brown sugar, ground oats, whole oats, and peanut butter chips, these cookies are absolutely chewy and packed with peanut butter flavor! Gluten free.
Peanut butter oatmeal cookies in the hoooooouse. These cookies are:
- Extra chewy – thanks brown sugar and oats
- Extra peanut butter-y – thanks creamy peanut butter AND peanut butter chips
- Extra oat-y – thanks ground old fashioned oats AND whole oats
- Extra perfect – what’s better than a chewy peanut butter oatmeal cookie?!
These cookies are extra perfect in terms of flavor and texture, and BONUS: they’re extra perfect in terms of ease as well.
So what are you waiting for?!
Ingredients to make Perfect Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies:
- Peanut butter
- Brown sugar
- Old fashioned oats – some ground, some left whole
- Baking soda
- Maldon sea salt
Tips for Making Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies:
- Use room temperature ingredients e.g. butter and egg
- They’ll incorporate better and easier into the peanut butter
- Use a processed creamy peanut butter like Jiff
- While I LOVE all natural peanut butter, they just don’t work as well in recipes like this. Processed peanut butter isn’t as runny and holds up better in this particular recipe.
- Use old fashioned oats
- Old fashioned oats are heartier and chewier than instant and won’t cause as much spreading
- You could *probably* get away with instant, but I can’t guarantee the results
- Make your own ground oats aka oat “flour”
- Why buy another flour when you can just make your own?
- Throw old fashioned oats into a food processor and blend until it resembles flour
- Garnish with maldon sea salt
- Optional, but highly recommended as a salty crunchy garnish AND it cuts the sweet and richness of the peanut butter
Freezing Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies:
I LOVE freezing cookies. Here’s a great article on best tips for freezing cookies and cookie dough.
If you like these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, check out:
Hearty, chewy, ultra peanut buttery, and accidentally gluten free, these cookies are literally so darn good. I love the gooey peanut butter chips and I’m telling you, that salty crunch from the maldon sea salt takes these over the top.
Do you want more peanut butter recipes? Cookie recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups ground old fashioned oats *
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats left whole
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips plus more for topping if desired
- Maldon sea salt optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats.
- Using a hand mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Beat in ground oats, whole oats, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Beat in peanut butter chips.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pack dough into the 1/4 cup and turn out dough onto prepared baking sheet - no more than 6 cookies on each baking sheet. Flatten out slightly with a fork like you would a peanut butter cookie.
- Bake one sheet of cookies in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Maldon sea salt, if desired, then let cookies sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to let finish cooling or eat immediately!
Repeat with remaining dough.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
*Make ground oats by placing about 2 cups old fashioned oats in your food processor. Grind until the oats resemble flour. Measure out 1 and 1/4 cups ground oats and resume with recipe!
* This post contains affiliate links. We receive a commission on purchases made via these links. The price you pay is not affected by using them.