This No Churn Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ice Cream is the perfect Summer treat! It’s creamy, sweet, filled with fruit, and tastes like cake batter! The best part? You don’t need an ice cream maker!
[insert crying face emoji here]
So. Let’s try again. Happy *Belated* Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day! In honor of this awesome holiday, I’ve made no churn pineapple upside down cake ice cream. Yep! That’s right. You don’t need an ice cream machine to make this ice cream. Woot woot!
I could’ve kept it simple and just made pineapple upside down cake, but nahhhh. Ice cream > cake.
Have I told you how much I love ice cream? Like. I loooove it. There was a time where every Friday night (after Mexican night, of course) I’d stop at the corner store and pick up a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. I would then eat the whole thing…in one sitting….with very little help from Trevor…
Ok fine. He wanted to help me, but I very politely said no. Sharing isn’t a thing when it comes to ice cream.
I just can’t get enough of the stuff.
When I don’t feel like getting store bought ice cream, however, I love making homemade ice cream! For the longest time, I didn’t think I’d ever be able to make ice cream, because I didn’t, and still don’t, have an ice cream maker and we really didn’t have the space to store one. THEN. I came upon Kevin & Amanda’s site and she had created a NO CHURN ice cream! That lady is a genius.
I’ve been making my own variations for years now: mint oreo, pumpkin, and today, pineapple upside down cake!
This pineapple upside down cake ice cream is fruity, sweet, and smooth with subtle chunks of fruit. I crushed up my fruit pretty finely, but if you wanted bigger chunks, I’m sure that would be great, too! It’s also so, so, SO creamy, fluffy, and I use yellow cake mix in the batter, so it’s nice and buttery, and of course, tastes like cake batter. Then to take this really over the top, after I served this up in bowls, I…
wait for it…
drizzled the ice cream in my vanilla bourbon salted caramel sauce!
Oh yea. I went there.
I thought the caramel would kind of mimic the gooey, sugary, part of the upside down pineapple cake. Let’s just say, I was right, and it was mighty tasty.
This pineapple upside down cake ice cream is the perfect Spring treat and I can’t wait to make it again. Yes, again, because I already ate it all.
Don’t judge! 😉
What’s your favorite “national food day” to celebrate? Show me the yummy!
No Churn Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ice Cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream chilled
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks drained
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- vanilla bourbon salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet and place the drained pineapple chunks in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway though.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and place in a food processor. Pulse until the pineapple has been fully crushed, or until the desired texture has been reached.
- At the same time, mix together 1/2 cup drained cherries, brown sugar, and cornstarch and place in a small (lightly greased) glass baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, and mash with a potato masher.
- Mix together sweetened condensed milk, yellow cake mix, and melted butter together until well combined.
- Stir in roasted pineapple and cherries. Set aside.
- Whip chilled heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture.
- Gently pour the ice cream into a large tupperware container and place the lid on.
- Place in the freezer until hard (about 6 hours).
- Serve, drizzle with vanilla bourbon salted caramel and enjoy!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.