This Monster Munch recipe is the BEST sweet and salty Halloween snack mix! It’s quick, easy, completely customizable, and absolutely addicting.
Once you’ve had a taste of Monster Munch, it’s game over. I haven’t met anyone who’s able to resist this sweet, salty, crunchy snack mix!
What is monster munch?
Monster munch is a sweet, salty, crunchy treat made with pretzels, chex cereal, peanuts, cheerios, and a variety of Halloween candies! This mixture is tossed with melted white chocolate, almond bark, or vanilla candiquik!
Ingredients and substitutions
This sweet and salty snack combo is ultra addicting…you’ve been warned!
- Pretzels – 1 (10 oz) package mini twist pretzels provides a salty flavor and crunchy texture to contrast the sweet, creaminess of the white chocolate. Pretzel thins or sticks would be a good substitute. If you’re not a huge pretzel fan, try replacing with more cereal or maybe even popcorn!
- Chex Cereal – I used 1 (12 oz) box rice Chex cereal, but corn may also be used. Chex cereal adds a crispy texture without adding much flavor to the mix. Use any mild flavored cereal you have on hand.
- Peanuts – 1 (16 oz) container salted, roasted peanuts adds a rich, nutty flavor and perfect crunch! Be sure to use salted, roasted for the best flavor. Peanut allergy? Try another salted, roasted nut or replace with additional cereal.
- Cheerios – 1 (10.8 oz) box honey nut cheerios provides a mildly sweet flavor and subtly crispy texture. Use whatever flavor Cheerios you prefer!
- Halloween Candy – I used a variety of candy corn, Reese’s pieces, and M&Ms. The candy corn adds an amazing chewy texture and pairs beautifully with the roasted peanuts. The reese’s pieces and M&Ms add a nice crispiness and sweet, chocolate flavor. Feel free to use your favorite variety. Use halloween colored candies or sprinkles for an extra festive look.
- White Chocolate – use 2 (16 oz) boxes vanilla candiquik for the best results. Bonus: follow the box directions for melting; you can place the tray it comes on directly in the microwave! I like candiquik, because it comes in a large package and it melts amazingly in the microwave. Almond bark or white chocolate chips mixed with a little canola oil will work as well!
How to make
Break out the biggest bowl you own, this makes a MONSTER (see what I did there?) batch of snack mix.
- Stir together pretzels, chex, peanuts, cheerios, and candy in a large bowl until well combined, then pour in the melted vanilla candiquik and mix again until all the pieces are fully coated.
- Spread onto silicone mat lined baking sheets, allow to cool completely, break into smaller chunks, then store in airtight containers until ready to serve!
How to melt chocolate in the microwave
There are different techniques on how to melt chocolate based on the variety you’re using.
- Candiquik (recommended): simply follow the directions on the box! Remove the tray of candy from the box, remove the film, then microwave directly on the tray.
- Almond Bark: chop the almond bark into small pieces using a very sharp knife, place into a large microwave safe bowl, then microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. You’ll need 2 (16 oz) packages.
- White Chocolate Chips: place 3 (12 oz) bags white chocolate chips into a large microwave safe bowl and stir together with 3 tablespoons canola oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. If the chocolate mixture is too thick, stir in an additional 1 tablespoon oil.
How to store
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (10 oz) bag mini twist pretzels
- 1 (12 oz) box rice chex cereal
- 1 (16 oz) container salted, roasted peanuts
- 1 (10.8 oz) box honey nut cheerios
- 1 (20 oz) bag candy corn
- 1 (4 oz) box reese’s pieces
- 1 (7.44 oz) box halloween m&ms
- 1 (10 oz) box halloween peanut m&ms
- 2 (16 oz) boxes vanilla candiquik melted according to box directions
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats then set aside.
- Into the largest bowl possible (I’m talking giant bowl)**, stir together pretzels, chex, peanuts, cheerios, and candy until well combined.
- Pour the melted vanilla candiquik over the mixture and mix again until all the pieces are fully coated.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheets and allow to cool completely.***
- Break into smaller chunks then store in airtight containers until ready to serve!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.