This Cheesy Rice and Beans Recipe is an easy vegetarian, gluten free breakfast or dinner! Black beans & fried eggs makes this dish full of protein!
Cheesy Rice + Black Beans + Gooey Eggs and Salsa –> simplicity at it’s finest.
You can thank our friend’s Bleu & Cairi for inspiring this recipe. Trevor and I woke up on the morning of Halloween to Facetime them. They live in Seattle and we haven’t talked to them in what seems like forever, so we were super excited.
Seattle is 2 hours behind Madison, so they were in the process of making breakfast while we talked. Cairi whipped up a little huevos rancheros and I immediately started drooling in jealously.
After we got off the phone, I needed breakfast, and I needed it like…NOW. Which is saying something, because it was about noon our time and I am NOT a breakfast after breakfast time person.
I didn’t have everything for huevos rancheros, but I did have black beans, eggs, rice, and cheese.
Long story short? I’ve been craving these cheesy rice and beans ever since.
Luckily for me, it’s super easy…sooo I’ve made this 3 times since Halloween. 🙈
It started with the cheesy rice. This, alone, gives me reason to wake up in the morning. I mean, you know, it’s rice and cheese. ‘Nough said.
My secret? I cooked the white rice in chicken (or vegetable) broth instead of water for more flavor and I added in a tablespoon of butter. Because. Well. Butter. ♡
After the rice got nice and tender, I stirred in pepper jack cheese and I swear to you I died right there and went to heaven.
I forced myself to set the rice aside and got the black beans ready.
Open. Drain. Rinse. Salt. Warm. Done.
Think you can handle it?
Now there’s the egg. Ohhhh eggs. I’ve been obsessed with you lately. I pretty much want to put an egg on everything. Easy Asian Noodles <– yep, there’s an egg on that. I also have an Asian Noodle Soup coming up that I’ve also made 3 times that I know you’re gonna flip for.
For the eggs, I just melted a teeny tiny bit of butter in a skillet cooked the eggs on one side for about 90 seconds, gracefully (aka not gracefully at all) flipped the eggs over, and cooked them an additional 90 seconds. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper and we’re ready to assemble!
Spoon the hot cheeeeeeesy rice onto a bowl or plate, top with warmed black beans, and lay on the egg.
Then, bring on the hot salsa and sour cream to complete the dish!
What you do next is up to you. I, for one, had already whipped up a batch of my chocolate chip muffins – I swear, I’m not lying, I had some craaaaaaazy cravings on Halloween – so we enjoyed these cheesy rice and beans with a side of muffins and HGTV.
How’s that for a perfect Saturday morning?
Oh, and like I said, I am NOT a breakfast for dinner kinda girl…
This totally changed my mind. Super cheesy, tender rice, plus black beans (my fav), and a runny egg?
Breakfast for dinner? What do you think? Show me the yummy!
Cheesy Rice and Beans
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or liquid amount per instructions on your rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 oz freshly shredded pepperjack about 1 cup (or cheese of choice)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- Sour cream or greek yogurt
- Cook rice according to package instructions, but use chicken/vegetable broth instead of water and add in butter.
- Once rice has cooked, fluff with a fork and gently stir in shredded cheese.
- While rice is cooking drain and rinse your black beans.
- Add salt, to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Once melted, crack eggs into pan.
- Cook for about 90 seconds, flip, and cook an additional 90 seconds - more or less depending on how runny you like your eggs.
- Lightly salt and pepper the eggs.
- Divide the rice evenly amongst four plates or bowls.
- Top with beans, eggs, and optional toppings!
- Serve immediately.
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.