A simple, hearty, yet lightened up meal, this cheesy one pan wonder Mexican Skillet is so easy and full of ground turkey, vegetables, and of course, plenty of cheeeeese!
Today’s post is sponsored by our cheesy friends at Sargento®, a community of Real Cheese People bringing us real good cheese. . . who doesn’t ♡ that?
One of the things I miss most about Seattle is Friday Night Mexican Nights with our friends, Kevin and Libbie (Hi guys!!)
We still haven’t found the best chips and salsa in Madison – somebody help me 😉 – so in the meantime, I’ve been cooking up a bunch of new Mexican inspired recipes in my own kitchen!
Today’s recipe, this easy, cheesy Mexican Skillet Recipe, completely satisfies my Friday Night Mexican Night craving.
This Mexican Skillet is all made in ONE pan <– you guys know how much I love those and is lightened up with ground turkey, a load of vegetables, and non fat plain greek yogurt.
But have no fear, because, it’s also loaded with plenty of gooey and delicious cheeeeeese.
Homemade Friday Night Mexican Night? Let’s DO this.
Before we get started, might I suggest you go make yourself a margarita? I mean, it IS Friday, and once 5 o’clock hits (ok fine, 4:30), you know I’ll be joining you.
A margarita + this Mexican Skillet Recipe is my kind of Friday night.
A while back Sargento® reached out to us and asked us to create a cheesy and delicious Mexican inspired dish using their Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican cheese that can be found at any local Kroger!
First of all, I’ve always been a huge fan of both companies.
We recently used the Sargento® 45 calorie slices for our Healthy Breakfast Sandwiches and I honestly can’t tell you how much time I’ve spent at QFC since I’ve started this food blog.
Like. QFC is my second home.
That being said, I knew making a cheesy and delicious Mexican inspired dish would be crazy easy. And delicious.
So let’s DO this!
Oh and don’t forget this Mexican Skillet Recipe is a one pan wonder, so hellooo to ONE dirty dish on a Friday night.
It all starts with ground turkey and a bunch of vegetables: green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and onion. You could probably use ground beef, but since spring is right around the corner (I hope. My fingers are literally crossed every day.) I wanted to keep things a little lighter.
In your cast iron skillet, brown the turkey and let the veggies get nice and tender.
Then you’re going to stir in diced tomatoes, brown rice, chicken broth, and a ton of spices: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Those spices? OMGsh.
Now, the next step, is the longest step, but it’s also the easiest.
You’re going to bring the Mexican Skillet to a simmer, cover it, and let it cook for about an hour, or until the brown rice is fully cooked. I know that seems like a long time, but you’re literally not doing anything during that time, so sit back and enjoy that margarita!
Now. For my FAVORITE part.
After everything is cooked, you’re going to stir in black beans, non fat plain greek yogurt, and the Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican cheese.
Side note – I normally don’t like shredded cheese for melting, because I find it doesn’t melt as well, but Sargento® is a different story. With the off-the-block freshness of the Sargento® and the greek yogurt, this Mexican Skillet is crazy creamy and melty cheesy deliciousness. It really does make a difference in this recipe.
But it doesn’t end there.
Now we’re going to top the Mexican Skillet with MORE cheese, because heck, has there ever been a time when there’s too much cheese?
Then we’re going to pop the skillet in the oven for a hot second so the cheese can melt.
Now. It’s time to dig in.
Serve this Mexican Skillet as is, or serve it with tortilla chips, or even in a tortilla! The options are endless and however you decide to serve it, I promise you’re gonna love it.
A simple, hearty, yet lightened up meal, this cheesy Mexican Skillet is easy and full of your favorite Mexican flavors!
Mexican Skillet Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes undrained
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth + more as needed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican blends + more for sprinkling on top
Optional Additional Ingredients
- Pico de Gallo
- Tortilla Chips
- Heat a large, oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add in oil, turkey, onions, and peppers and saute together until meat is cooked and veggies are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, rice, chicken broth and seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, lower heat to medium/low - low, cover and simmer for about 60 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir every 10-15 minutes to prevent sticking.*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in black beans, greek yogurt, and one cup of cheese.
- Taste and re-season if necessary.
- Top with more cheese and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with pico de gallo (optional, but recommended), and serve as is, or serve with tortillas or tortilla chips!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Look for Specially Marked Packages of Sargento® Shredded Cheese for $1 Savings at your local Kroger.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento®. The opinions and texts are all mine.