This Breakfast Burrito Bowl Recipe is full of sweet potatoes, peppers, onion, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, black beans, and spices. Topped with a fried egg, salsa, and greek yogurt! Healthy. Meatless. Gluten Free. Perfect for meal prep! Can be vegan!
Can you tell I’m a creature of habit?!
You could absolutely make this Breakfast Burrito Bowl without a runny egg if you’re not into that kinda thing, but I mean, you ARE in to that kinda thing, aren’t you? 🙂 Unless you’re vegan, then don’t put a runny egg on it. 😉
But I knew it.
You’re TOTES into runny eggs.
Me too. 🙂
This breakfast burrito bowl is P.E.R.F.E.C.T. for meal prep. Make these on a Sunday and have healthy breakfasts (or brinners) all week long.
[insert happy dance emoji here]
This burrito bowl was originally supposed to be an actual breakfast burrito, but once again, my #lazygirl tendencies kicked in, and by the time I made the “filling”, I didn’t really want to make scrambled eggs AND roll everything up in a tortilla.
That being said, you could definitely make this breakfast burrito bowl into an actual burrito.
Honestly though, I don’t think you’re going to miss the tortilla. With the combination of veggies, black beans, spices, and fried egg, there’s a LOT going on to keep these interesting and a LOT going on to keep YOU full and healthy.
Like I said, these are perfect for meal prep, so let me walk you through the recipe:
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet
- Saute sweet potato until it starts to get tender
- Add in red pepper, green pepper, onion, and spices: chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Cook above until all the veggies are tender
- Stir in spinach, mushrooms, and garlic and cook for a couple minutes
- Stir in black beans and heat through
- Taste and re-season if necessary
Other than prepping the veggies (which should really only take about 10 minutes), this recipe is ridiculously quick and easy and makes a ton.
This makes 6 servings – a heaping 1/2 cup per serving that can be stored in the fridge all week long!
Then in the morning, just heat up the mixture in the microwave, quickly fry up an egg, then top everything with non fat plain greek yogurt (or dairy free alternative) and (spicy) salsa!
Meatless, healthy, filling, full of Mexican flair, and topped with a runny egg.
This breakfast burrito bowl is kind of meal prep breakfast perfection. 🙂
Breakfast Burrito Bowl
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes diced
- 1/2 large red pepper diced
- 1/2 large green pepper diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- Salsa optional for serving, but highly recommended
- Non fat plain greek yogurt optional for serving, but highly recommended (omit if vegan)
- Fried egg optional for serving, but highly recommended (omit if vegan)
- Melt coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium/medium high heat.
- Add in sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in peppers, onion, and spices and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add more time if they’re not.
- Add in spinach, mushroom, garlic, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in black beans.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- If serving immediately: top with greek yogurt, salsa, and a gooey fried egg!
- If serving later: store in fridge in an airtight container, then re-heat in microwave, then top with greek yogurt, salsa, and a gooey fried egg!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.