This Healthy Homemade French Dressing Recipe is a healthier twist on a classic! Takes minutes to whip up and is full of extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, maple syrup, onion, paprika, and salt!
Before we get in to today’s recipe, let’s address the elephant in the room . . .
What is french dressing?
What apparently started out as a simple oil and vinegar based salad dressing, french dressing is now a creamy salad dressing made with ketchup, sugar, onion, and spices (and oil and vinegar).
I’m not sure when (or why) the addition of ketchup came about, but don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it, because it’s delicious.
When I first moved out of my parents house and into my college dorm, I was a SUPER picky eater. Anything green was off limits. That being said, I knew that eating healthfully was important, so I forced myself to eat a spinach side salad every day. Gross. 😉 The only saving grace?
While the kind I had in college was DEFINITELY from a bottle, today’s recipe is obviously homemade. It’s healthier, *almost* as easy as opening a bottle . . .
. . . and definitely more delicious. 😉
If you’ve been following along at all this summer, you’ll know that I’ve been posting a TON of different salad dressings and vinaigrette recipes. Why? Because, for me, that’s what takes a salad from *ehhh* to *yesssssss*!
Salads can be a GREAT healthy way to get in more fruits, veggies, fats, and lean proteins. Plus, they’re quick and easy to prep, which is a must, because I know how busy we all are!
I’ve made everything from an italian dressing to greek yogurt ranch dressing, so I thought it was about time for a healthier twist on french dressing, no? 🙂
Let’s get to it!
French Dressing Ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- I used a no sugar variety
- Maple syrup
- I use this instead of the traditional granulated sugar to keep this healthier and vegan!
- Grated onion
- I like grating the onion using a cheese grater for textural purposes, I’m not a fan of big chunks of onion
- You could probably also use onion powder
How Do You Make French Dressing?
- Place all the ingredients into a mason jar, blender or food processor then shake, blend, or process until well combined and creamy!
See?! I TOLD you this recipe was *almost* as easy as buying it from the store. The bonus of making your own means you can customize it how you want. Want it sweeter? Add more maple syrup! Want a less prominent onion flavor? Use less onion or sub in onion powder!
Easy. Customizable. Delicious. I love the sweetness from the maple syrup, the creaminess from the ketchup, and tang from the vinegar.
Do you want more salad dressing recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
Healthy Homemade French Dressing
- 1/2 cup extra virgin oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup I used a no sugar added variety
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 - 2 tablespoons grated onion depends on how onion-y you want it
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- Place oil, vinegar, ketchup, maple syrup, grated onion, paprika, and salt into a mason jar, blender, or food processor.
- Seal and shake or blend until well combined.
- Taste and re-season if necessary.
- Use immediately.
- Store leftovers in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Let come to room temperature before serving.
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.