A summer classic turned healthy, this Healthy Coleslaw Recipe ditches the mayo and adds avocado, greek yogurt, and more! Healthy. Gluten Free. Vegetarian. Delicious!
I especially <3 coleslaw during the hot summer months, because what’s better than cold, crunchy, deliciousness when it’s a million degrees outside?!
I don’t, however, <3 coleslaw that’s dripping in calories (*cough cough* gobs of MAYO).
Ok. That’s a lie.
BUT there’s a time and a place for that, and I thought we could all use a little Healthy Coleslaw Recipe in our lives, yes?
THIS coleslaw may not be dripping in calories, but it’s absolutely LOADED with flavor.
A fave summer treat made healthier . . .
Can I get a *woot* *woot*?!
I’ve been on a real avocado kick lately.
Instead of using oil or mayo, I’ve been trying to use avocado instead!
Again, I LOVE oil and mayo, but sometimes I want something healthier, and avocado has been a great option!
It all started with my avocado pesto – instead of using oil as the fat in the recipe, I used avocado, and oh my gosh you can’t even tell and it’s SO delicious and creamy.
Then, I had a hankering for some coleslaw – I needed a topping for my Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches <– recipe coming Monday!!! – but I didn’t have any mayo on hand.
I did, however, have an avocado.
I said “what the heck”, gave it a try, and letmetellyou, I’m officially MORE in love with avocados (if that’s even possible).
There are two parts to today’s recipe:
- Pre-packaged coleslaw
- Pre-shredded cabbage
- Sliced green onions
- Non fat plain greek yogurt
- Apple cider vinegar
- a TOUCH of olive oil (for flavor)
Toss the base in a bowl, whirl the sauce together in your favorite food processor, combine everything together and throw it in the fridge until ready to use.
The result is a healthy coleslaw that’s loaded with creamy goodness, flavor, and texture!
My favorite way to use it is as a topping for…
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches <– coming soon!
All the grilled things
And on a spoon! 😉
How would YOU use this healthy coleslaw? Show Me the Yummy!
- 1 1/2 cups pre-packaged coleslaw (shredded cabbage)
- 1 1/2 cups pre-shredded purple cabbage
- 3 Green onions sliced (just the white/light green part)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 jalapeño roughly chopped and de-seeded for a more mild flavor
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss together coleslaw, cabbage, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Place sauce ingredients into food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour sauce over the slaw and toss to combine.
- Store covered, in fridge, until ready to use!
* This post contains affiliate links. We receive a commission on purchases made via these links. The price you pay is not affected by using them.