This Egg Drop Wonton Soup is a twist on three of my FAVE Asian soups: hot and sour, egg drop, and wonton soup! Ready in about 15 minutes. Healthy and can be vegetarian!
- Wonton soup
- Egg drop soup
- Hot and sour soup
Because, why have ONE soup, when you can have all THREE mashed into one?!
Come on. 🙂
Soooo . . .
I’ve been reeeeally into soups lately:
- They’re really quick and easy to make
- There are SO many different flavor combinations – taco soup, chicken noodle soup, potato soup, roasted carrot soup. . . and obviously tons more
- They’re cozy and let’s be real, it’s been FREEZING outside
That being said, this egg drop wonton soup *might* just be my new fave. 🙂
This soup is definitely the kind of soup that you want after being outside in sub zero degree weather.
It literally warms you from the inside out and will DEFINITELY clear out those sinuses thanks to a little sriracha.
It truly is the perfect combination of wonton, egg drop, and hot and sour soup, and it IS kiiiiind of amazing just how quick and easy it is to make.
You’ll start by throwing a bunch of ingredients into your stockpot: chicken broth, soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, ground ginger, garlic powder, cornstarch, and Sriracha <– whisk it all together and bring to a boil.
Then, you’ll add in some frozen wontons. I used these Ling Ling Asian Kitchen Potstickers – Chicken and Vegetable Dumplings, but any kind you can boil should work just fine!
Once the wontons have fully heated through, you’ll add in some eggs.
If you’ve never made egg drop soup, it’s actually easier than it sounds.
All you do is stir the soup with one hand, and with the other, slowly pour in whisked eggs. The eggs immediately cook when they hit the hot soup. 🙂
Aaaand . . .
That’s how you make egg drop wonton soup. 🙂
The broth is SO flavorful – love the subtle ginger, tangy vinegar, and spicy sriracha and you just can’t beat dumplings in your soup. 🙂
Healthy, flavorful, and, oh yeah! Totally customizable: if you’re gluten free, use gluten free wontons and soy tamari. Vegetarian? Use veggie broth and vegetable only dumplings!
Quick. Easy. Healthy. Cozy. Delicious.
What more is there in a soup?
Egg Drop Wonton Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 6 cups chicken broth vegetable broth if making this vegetarian
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha more or less depending on desired spice level
- 1 (13 oz) package frozen Ling Ling Asian Kitchen Potstickers - Chicken and Vegetable Dumplings vegetable potstickers if making these vegetarian, seasoning packet discarded
- 3 large eggs
- cilantro and green onions optional for garnish
- Whisk broth, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic powder, cornstarch, and Sriracha together in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add in dumplings and boil until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes (look on the package for boiling directions).
- In a measuring cup, whisk together three large eggs.
- With one hand, stir soup while slowly pouring the whisked eggs in with the other. The eggs will immediately cook as they hit the hot soup.
- Serve, garnish, and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.