Crockpot Pumpkin Dump Cake. An easy homemade pumpkin pie filling made with pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt gets topped with caramel, pecans, spice cake mix, and butter. Don’t forget to serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Remember when I told you guys that I’m actually not the biggest fan of pie?
Except for my mini pumpkin pies (made in a muffin tin), of course.
Well it’s true.
And I’m not afraid to admit it. 😉
I’m probably not the biggest fan of pie, because desserts like this crockpot pumpkin dump cake exist.
And I’m sorry.
It’s just better than pie. 😉
A super simple homemade pumpkin pie filling is topped with caramel, pecans, spice cake mix, and butter.
Don’t forget to serve it warm with a nice big scoop of vanilla ice cream . . .
This is TOTALLY better than pie. 😉
Ingredients in crockpot pumpkin dump cake:
- Pumpkin purée
- Brown sugar
- Spices: cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt
- Caramel sauce
- Spice cake mix
How do you make pumpkin dump cake?
- Whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a greased crockpot
- Top with pecans and caramel sauce
- Pour in a box of spice cake mix
- Gently flatten the cake mix out with the back of your hand (see video for visuals)
- Top with cubed butter
- Cover with a thin tea towel (this catches any condensation while cooking), then place on the crockpot lid
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
Can I make any substitutions to this slow cooker pumpkin pie dump cake?
Sure! Here are some other suggestions:
- Instead of pecans, try walnuts!
- Don’t like caramel? I bet nutella would be delicious!
- Try yellow cake mix instead of spice cake mix if you can’t find the spiced variety. Although, I’d probably double the spices in the filling then!
- Out of ice cream? Top the cooked cake with cool whip or whipped cream!
Although I haven’t tried any of the suggestions above, I bet they’d be delicious. Other than that, I wouldn’t suggest making any other substitutions.
Perfectly spiced pumpkin pie filling topped with tender, flavorful cake, sweet caramel, crunchy pecans, and cool, creamy ice cream . . .
Move over pumpkin pie, there’s a new Thanksgiving dessert in town!
Do you like other Thanksgiving desserts other than pie? Show Me the Yummy!
Crockpot Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin purée not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup jarred caramel ice cream topping plus more for serving
- 1 (15.25 oz) box spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) cubed
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Dump mixture into crockpot and spread with a spatula to evenly cover the bottom of the crockpot.
- Top filling with pecans and then caramel.
- Pour in cake mix and use your hands to spread it out evenly and gently press it down.
- Top with cubed butter.
- Cover with a thin tea towel (this catches any condensation), then place lid on top.
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours*, or until cake is cooked to your liking.
- Scoop and serve with vanilla ice cream and an extra sprinkle of pecans and drizzle of caramel.
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.