This Instant Pot Tomato Soup is so creamy and packed with the perfect blend of spices. Canned tomatoes, heavy cream, and parmesan are blended together for an ultra smooth, rich, and flavorful soup!
You can’t beat a really good tomato soup, can you? Bring on the grilled cheese and I’m in heaven. I love this instant pot tomato soup recipe in particular, because I always have these ingredients on hand, it’s made quickly (thank you instant pot), and bonus: we’re sneaking in some extra veggies!
I always have these ingredients on hand, so this soup is perfect for those “oops, I don’t have a dinner plan” days!
- Unsalted Butter – used to cook the veggies in the instant pot and give that warm, buttery flavor to the soup. Feel free to replace with oil of choice, if desired.
- Yellow Onion, Carrots, and Celery – our “mirepoix” aka the classic soup veggie blend for added nutrition and flavor.
- Garlic – gives that subtle nutty flavor.
- White Wine – gives the tomato soup a touch of fruity sweetness to complement the flavor of the tomatoes. Feel free to replace with white grape juice, additional tomato juice, or broth to keep this alcohol free.
- Tomato Juice – thins out the soup and bonus: adds additional tomato flavor!
- Canned Tomatoes – the base for our soup. Canned tomatoes actually have a higher concentration of flavor than fresh, so they’re perfect for soups.
- Brown Sugar – gives the soup a warm, caramel-y flavor to balance out the acidity from the tomatoes.
- Dried Basil, Italian Seasoning, Salt, and Pepper – a sweet blend of seasonings to give this soup an extra layer of flavor.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – gives the soup an ultra rich texture and flavor. Feel free to use half-and-half to lighten this up a bit, but keep in mind, the texture won’t be quite as creamy.
- Parmesan Cheese – melted into the soup to add an umami, salty, cheesy flavor. This is my secret for a full-bodied flavor!
How to make
This sweet, creamy, and flavorful tomato soup takes 15 minutes to prep!
- Hit SAUTE on your instant pot, add in butter, allow to melt, then cook onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until the carrots are tender.
- De-glaze the pot with white wine then stir in tomato juice, tomatoes, sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the Instant Pot, stir in heavy cream and parmesan cheese until the cheese is melted, then serve and enjoy!
Can you use fresh tomatoes?
You can, but using canned and peeled tomatoes is quicker, easier, and will give a more concentrated tomato flavor.
If you’d like to use fresh tomatoes, be sure you’re using 1-2 pounds of very red (aka ripe) in-season tomatoes. You’ll need to peel and chop them before incorporating them into the soup. You may also need to thin with additional liquid and adjust the seasonings.
How to make tomato soup creamy
This tomato soup is very creamy from the butter, heavy cream, and parmesan. Blending the soup in a high powered blender also helps you achieve an ultra creamy texture.
What to serve with tomato soup
Tomato soup is great paired up with a yummy sandwich, salad, or a few slices of bread. Here are some recipe ideas!
How to store
Leftover tomato soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or reheat on the stove or back in the instant pot.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine can replace with more tomato juice or broth of choice
- 3 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes don’t drain!
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Hit SAUTE on 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Once it reads hot, add butter and allow to melt.
- Add in onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Hit CANCEL on the Instant Pot.
- De-glaze with white wine, be sure there’s nothing stuck to the bottom to avoid a burn reading.
- Stir in tomato juice, tomatoes, sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and lock the lid. Be sure the vent valve is pointed to sealing.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Very carefully, transfer soup to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour soup back into the Instant Pot, then stir in cream and parmesan until cheese has melted.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.