These Healthy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with whole wheat flour, a touch of brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, and dark chocolate chips. Reduced sugar. No butter. Still delicious. You’re gonna love ’em!
Sometimes you just need a hot and gooey, fresh outta the oven, chocolate-y chip-y, cookie.
Ok. I lied.
You ALWAYS need a hot and gooey, fresh outta the oven, chocolate-y chip-y, cookie.
You’re also trying to eat healthy…or at least healthy…er.
But you still need that cookie, amiright?!
That’s why today, I made you guys whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.
This is a riff off my favorite chocolate chip cookie, but I made it healthier by…
- replacing all-purpose flour with whole wheat
- butter with coconut oil
- milk chocolate chips with dark chocolate
- significantly reduced the amount of sugar
But they still taste really really good.
You’re gonna love ’em.
Let’s first address the elephant in the room.
Does whole wheat flour make cookies taste different?
I mean. Yes. But I don’t think that that’s a bad thing.
Whole wheat flour will give your cookies a more “earthy” flavor.
But honestly. I hardly notice a difference.
Some people might be able to taste more of a difference, but honestly, Trevor and I really couldn’t taste a difference.
Ingredients in low sugar healthy whole wheat chocolate chip cookies:
The ingredient list for these cookies is SO short. Which is great, because that means you probably already have these ingredients on hand!
- Brown sugar
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking soda
- Dark chocolate chips
- Maldon sea salt, optional but highly recommended
How do you make whole wheat cookies with coconut oil?
These whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are so quick to whip up.
- Use your hand mixer to cream together brown sugar, melted coconut oil, vanilla, and an egg
- Beat in whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt
- Stir in dark chocolate chips
- Scoop cookie dough using a large cookie scoop
- Bake cookies on a silicone mat lined baking sheet in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 8 minutes
- Sprinkle with maldon sea salt
Most of the time, when I’m baking, I just gently scoop out of the bag and shake to level, but with whole wheat flour, I find it better to spoon the flour into the measuring cup and leveling it off with a knife. 🙂
Even with these healthy swaps, I’m telling you, I really don’t think you’ll be able to tell the difference.
These cookies are SO soft and gooey and are still plenty sweet and chocolate-y.
Who’s ready for some hot and gooey, fresh outta the oven, chocolate-y chip-y, cookies?! 🙂
Pass the milk! Or scoop of ice cream. 😉
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour spoon and level to measure (see notes in post above)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Maldon sea salt for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together brown sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and egg.
- Beat in whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with a sprinkle of maldon sea salt.
- Cool slightly and serve!
- Optional - serve as ice cream sandwiches!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.