A health-ier take on a classic, these Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are full of chewy oats, nutty whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and dark chocolate chunks. While they may be lighter in calories, they’re absolutely PACKED with flavor. Ice cream optional, but highly recommended. 🙂
Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring today’s post! We ♡ them so much.
For the love of all things chocolate-y and delicious, I am absolutely dying over these whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars.
That’s a mouthful, I know.
But I couldn’t just call these oatmeal bars, or cookie bars, because you need to know that these are made with whole wheat, oatmeal, and chocolate chips, taste like cookies, but are made in bar form.
Now you understand the mouthful of a name, don’t you? 🙂
These whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars might look and taste completely decadent, but they’re actually a significantly lightened up twist on a classic dessert.
While I won’t go around calling these health food . . . for a dessert bar, these are definitely a health-ier option. 🙂
Loaded with whole wheat flour, chewy oats, and dark chocolate, health-ier or not, these bars are straight up tasty!
Although I NEVER feel guilty about eating dessert – for me, everything in moderation is the key.
That being said, I really do love figuring out ways to lighten up desserts without losing any of the flavor.
These whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars definitely did not disappoint.
You’ll start by whisking together the dry ingredients:
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Regular Rolled Oats aka the MVP of today’s recipe. Two words: chewy. deliciousness. Their oats are 100% whole grain, high in fiber, and um, just taste really really good, ok? 🙂
- Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour. Did you know there’s 6 grams of protein per serving in this?! I love the heartiness it gives this recipe. A word to the wise: don’t over measure. Whole wheat flour can really weigh a recipe down, so use a gentle hand!
- Baking soda – gives ’em a little lift
- Salt – to balance the sweetness
- Cinnamon – adds SUCH a great cozy quality that’s perfect with whole wheat and dark chocolate flavors
- Dark chocolate chunks – I use a 62% cacao
Next, you’ll stir in the wet ingredients: egg, vanilla, melted coconut oil, and buttermilk.
Stir everything together and bake ’em up in an 8×8 nonstick square baking pan!
You’ll need to let these whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars cool completely before cutting into them or else they might fall apart on you, but trust me, they’re worth the wait. 🙂
Great on their own at room temperature or warmed in the microwave with a scoop of ice cream, there’s definitely no wrong way to eat these. 🙂
Hearty, chewy, sweet, but not too sweet, LOADED with melty chocolate . . .
Health…ier desserts for the win! 🙂
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Regular Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 large large egg whisked
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x8 nonstick square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate until combined.
- Add in egg, coconut oil, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Stir together until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Grease hands with cooking spray and gently pat down the mixture until it’s in an even layer in the pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place the pan on a wire rack.
- Cool completely for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cut into bars and serve at room temperature or warm with ice cream!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring today’s post!