Walnut Baked Scallops. Scallops topped with a crumb topping – walnuts, parmesan, and spices – and drizzled with a coconut oil, lemon, and white wine sauce. Easy. Nutritious. Delicious. Ready in under 30 minutes!
Today’s post is sponsored by the California Walnut Board.
If you’re looking for more nutritious Valentine’s Day recipes, you’ll also love: sun dried and roma tomato bruschetta, honey goat cheese strawberry spinach salad, and whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.
I have two words for you today:
When I was initially developing this walnut baked scallops recipe in my head, I thought they were going to be good . . .
but oh my gosh, you guys . . .
these turned out even better than expected.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I wanted to give you all a quick, easy, romantic dinner idea for you and your significant other. But let’s be real, this recipe is GREAT for any easy entertaining night.
Plus, with February being American Heart Month, I also wanted to give you guys a recipe that your heart will love too.
This recipe totally delivers:
- It’s full of scallops. Which, to me, is the ultimate romantic food.
- It’s DELICIOUS. You’re gonna flip for that crumb topping.
- It’s quick and easy. Less than 30 minutes thankyouverymuch.
- It’s pretty nutritious:
- Scallops are an excellent source of lean protein (16g/4oz).
- Walnuts add good fats, protein, and nutty deliciousness. Just 1 oz of walnuts has 2.5g monounsaturated fat, 13g polyunsaturated fat – including 2.5g omega-3 ALA – and 4g of protein.
So, who’s ready to get their nutritious deliciousness on?!
Ingredients in walnut baked scallops:
- Salt and pepper
- California Walnuts
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Lemon juice
- Coconut oil
- White wine
How to make walnut baked scallops:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9×9 round non stick baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Into a food processor, add walnuts, parmesan, oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse together until the mixture is broken down into fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Gently dry scallops throughly with a paper towel, then season each side with salt and pepper.
- Place into prepared baking dish.
- Top with crumb mixture. Gently pressing the mixture on top of each scallop.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil, lemon juice, and white wine.
- Pour over the scallops.
- Bake in preheated oven, then broil until the crumb topping is golden brown.
How long do you bake scallops at 400?
Bake scallops at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
What should I serve with baked scallops?
- Green beans
- Wild rice
Tender scallops topped with a crunchy walnut, herby topping and drizzled with a bright lemon, white wine sauce . . .
This, my friends, is quick, easy, nutritious, delicious romantic cooking at its finest.
Do you need more Valentine’s Day recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
Walnut Baked Scallops
- 1 cup California Walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more or less to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 oz large sea scallops I used a thawed 12 oz bag frozen scallops
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine I use Pinot Grigio
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9x9 round non stick baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place walnuts, parmesan, oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into a food processor.
- Pulse together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Dry thawed scallops gently and thoroughly with paper towels.
- Season dried scallops on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place scallops into prepared baking dish.
- Top scallops with the crumb mixture, gently pressing the mixture into the tops of the scallops. The mixture will spill over the sides of the scallops and into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, melted coconut oil, and white wine.
- Pour over scallops.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Move oven rack to top rack and broil for 2 minutes, or until the crumb mixture is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
- It looks like a lot of crumb topping, but trust me. It's so good you'll eat it all up!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to our friends at the California Walnut Board for sponsoring today’s post!