This Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie will be the star of your next holiday gathering. A simple graham cracker crust is filled with the most decadent, rich, red wine chocolate pudding!
Today’s recipe is sponsored by our friends at Barefoot Wine & Bubbly. They’re making our holiday season even brighter!
Holy moly this might just be the best dessert I’ve ever made.
Like ever. . . and I’m not exaggerating.
This dessert is ultra indulgent, but not too heavy, super chocolate-y, a little mocha-y, crunchy, creamy, and as if that’s not enough. . .
it’s full of wine.
Yeah. I did that.
You guys. . . I give you Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie.
No longer do you have to choose a glass of wine OR dessert. Now. You can have your
cake pie and eat it, too.
Or I guess have your glass of wine IN your dessert. 😉
But don’t run away, because I know what you’re thinking, you’re thinking that something THIS decadent must be super complicated.
I am pleased to inform you that this pie might just be one of the easiest desserts I’ve ever made.
Two things inspired me for today’s recipe.
Inspiration #1 – Ummmm Thanksgiving and Christmas. They’re like 2 seconds away.
This is the very first pie recipe on Show Me the Yummy. We’re TWO years old now AND it’s almost Thanksgiving. I’d say that calls for some pie, don’t you?
The reason why we don’t have a pie recipe is because I’m absolutely terrified of making my own pie crust. It just seems really intimidating to me and I’m way too impatient to wait around for hours while the dough chills.
Well. I decided to take the plunge and develop an easy pie crust recipe.
Welllll two tries in with the result of an overly butter-y, melty glop that was supposed to be crust, meant time for a change of plans.
But you know what? This is Show Me the Yummy: Easy Recipes for Yummy Food, so that means making a crust that’s actually easy (and in my opinion, tastier)…so three ingredient graham cracker crust it is! And honestly, a graham cracker crust works so much better for this recipe anyway.
Quicker, easier, tastier?
#win #win #win
Inspiration #2 – Barefoot Merlot
So I knew I wanted to make a pie, right? And we’re working with Barefoot this holiday season to bring you really delicious holiday recipes. I knew I wanted to use their Merlot and the second I saw the description – “…the perfect combo of cherry, boysenberry, plum, and chocolate. A mocha finish is complemented by hints of smoky vanilla oak.” – I knew this needed to be made into an ultra decadent chocolate pudding.
Graham cracker crust + decadent pudding = Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie.
I highly recommend you watch the video above, so you can actually SEE how easy this recipe is to make, but let me give you a quick run down just in case.
- Make crust. Graham cracker crumbs + sugar + butter. That’s it.
- Make filling. Heat heavy cream and Barefoot Merlot until hot –> stir in instant coffee (to really bring out the mocha in the wine), cocoa powder, sugar, and salt –> pour over bittersweet chocolate and butter –> mix until smooth –> pour over crust.
- Chill until firm –> top with drizzles of chocolate syrup, whipped cream, cherries, and shaved chocolate (because we obviously need more chocolate).
- Try not to go back for that third piece. 😉
An ultra crunchy crust topped with the most decadent, rich but not too rich, creamy chocolate-y red wine pudding.
You guys. This Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe is a show stopper.
Nobody every has to know how easy it actually is. 🙂
What’s your favorite pie flavor? Show Me the Yummy!
Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/4 cups cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Barefoot Merlot
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (4 oz) baking bars bittersweet chocolate finely chopped, 66% cocoa
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed
- chocolate syrup
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
- extra bittersweet chocolate
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until well combined.
- Firmly press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10 inch pie pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before filling with the chocolate pudding mixture.
Red Wine Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Place bittersweet chocolate and butter into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the heavy cream and Merlot in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot (about when it starts to bubble around the edges). You don't want to mixture to boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coffee, cocoa, sugar, and salt until smooth.
- Pour hot mixture over chocolate/butter and whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into cooled pie crust.
- Cover with plastic (the plastic will stick to the top of the pudding - that's good) and chill until the pie has set, at least 6 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream, maraschino cherries, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and shaved bittersweet chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to Barefoot Wine & Bubbly for sponsoring today’s post!