These pecan pie bites are cute, bite sized, quick & easy to make, & filled w/ a maple bourbon caramel. Chocolate chips are optional, but highly recommended!
Oh yeah. And easy.
You KNOW I’m all about easy, yummy recipes, especially on a Monday, especially during the crazy holiday season, so I just couldn’t wait one day longer to share these pecan pie bites with you.
I should also mention that these pecan pie bites use frozen mini fillo shells (Athens – you guys are geniuses), have the optional (but really is it?!) use of chocolate chips, and get filled with a maple bourbon caramel sauce.
Yeah. You read that right.
Maple. Bourbon. Caramel. Sauce.
Try not to lick it all off the spoon. I dare you!
These pecan pie bites came to be, because
1. I’m terrified of making a homemade pie crust. I know I shouldn’t be, buuuuuut, I’ll tackle that later.
2. Mini is better. Always. 😉
I’ve actually used these mini fillo shells before in my mini caramelized onion, mushroom, and apple tarts recipe. The texture is great, they’re easily found in the freezer section, and I love that they can be used for sweet and savory dishes! They’re already made and they taste amazing…sorry homemade pie crust…you’ll just have to wait.
I decided to make these pecan pie bites, because let’s be honest, I’ve been hitting you guys over the head with all my pumpkin and apple recipes: vegan pumpkin muffins, pumpkin french toast, salted caramel apple bars, caramel apple dessert pizza…etc. Let’s just say, Trevor and I were both happy for a slight change of pace. 🙂
I should warn you though, these pecan pie bites are ridiculously dangerous. If you’re not planning on bringing these to a party, you will eat them all. These are a one (or two) bite treat and so poppable you won’t be able to stop.
You’ve been warned.
That’s what I love most about this recipe. It’s easy, but it makes 30 bites! Perfect for bringing to a holiday party or gathering and way less messy than slicing and serving a “real” pie.
But wait. What about that maple bourbon caramel sauce I talked about up there 👆. Yeah. We should probably talk about that. Originally, I was just going to use my vanilla bourbon salted caramel recipe, but as I was measuring out my ingredients, I realized I only had half the amount of brown sugar that I needed.
So I pulled a lazy girl move, avoided the grocery store, and used what I had on hand: maple syrup. Why not?
Lucky for my inner lazy girl, it worked! And let-me-tell-you I love it.
A caramel sauce that’s made with cozy maple syrup, bourbon, and salt. What’s not to love about that? Boozy AND sweet and salty. Yessss.
Once the caramel has been made – it only takes about 10 minutes – you’re basically done.
All that’s left to do is pull the fillo shells from the freezer, fill them with pecans and chocolate chips (optional – but let’s be real, you should probably just add the chocolate chips) and pour the caramel over the pecans.
Bake ’em up for 10 minutes, cool, and serve!
Trevor likes these with whipped cream, but – now don’t hate me – I don’t like whipped cream, so I choose to eat these pecan pie bites as is.
These pecan pie bites are nice and flakey from the fillo shells, chewy, crunchy, salty, caramel-y from the filling, and honestly, just the perfect fall, bite sized treat!
What’s your favorite pie flavor? Should I make another version of these pecan pie bites? Show me the yummy!
Pecan Pie Bites
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1/2 tablespoon bourbon* can be replaced with vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Pecan Pie Bites
- 2 boxes frozen mini fillo shells 30 shells total
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- whipped cream/cool whip optional as topping
- Mix the brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for about 3 minutes, until it gets thicker.
- Slowly add in heavy cream (half and half), bourbon and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 60 seconds.
- Whisk in the salt and maple syrup and let boil for another 60 seconds.
- Cool slightly while you prep the rest of the bites.
Pecan Pie Bites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Place the store bought mini pastry tart shells onto the baking sheet and fill with chocolate chips (about 3 chips per shell) and pecans (about 1/4 teaspoon per shell)*.
- Pour caramel evenly into the tart shells (you'll need about 1 teaspoon per shell).
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before topping with cool whip or whipped cream and serve immediately!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.