This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe only requires a few minutes and a few ingredients: pasta shells, broth, salt, pepper, milk, parmesan, gruyere, and sharp cheddar cheese to make!
Another day, another instant pot recipe.
Are you guys loving the instant pot as much as I am?
If not, don’t worry, you’ll get there, I promise.
It took me six months just to get the darn thing outta the box and another 2 months to start feeling really confident using it, ha!
I’ve told you once and I’ll say it again, I love it, because it’s the ease of a slow cooker (throw and go), but SO fast. It’s really great for people who don’t want to prep their meals before heading off to work.
My latest instant pot recipe is this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese and holy cheesiness batman, it’s so yummy.
This mac and cheese recipe is based off my one pot mac and cheese, but it’s probably twice as fast. #heckyes
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese:
- Throw medium pasta shells into your instant pot with vegetable broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 4-5 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Stir in milk, shredded parmesan, shredded gruyere (I used a hickory smoked for extra flava), and shredded sharp cheddar cheese
That’s it! That’s how you make instant pot mac and cheese.
I mean. It’s almost TOO easy if that’s a thing. 😉
This recipe is perfect for a last minute week night meal, but it’s also impressive enough to serve guests at a party!
I was NOT a fan of homemade mac and cheese. I’m not gonna lie, I totally used to be a Kraft/Annie’s boxed mac and cheese kinda girl.
So if you’re like that, PLEASE give any of my mac and cheese recipes a try. I think I’ll be able to change your mind.
Oh! Also. Don’t like the cheeses I’ve used today? You could TOTALLY mix it up and use any combination you’d like.
My suggestion? Definitely use cheddar for that classic mac and cheese taste and use other cheeses that melt really well, but don’t get gooey (think: mozzarella wouldn’t be great), and another cheese to give it a little sumthin’ sumthin’ extra, like sharp parmesan, asiago, blue cheese, feta, or goat cheese!
You could also probably use a different shaped pasta, but the cook time *might* vary.
The possibilities for this instant pot mac and cheese are endless, if fact, I may or may not have a couple variations up my sleeve already. 😉
So easy and cheesy, I’m LOVING this instant pot twist on a classic!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (16 oz) box medium pasta shells uncooked
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup milk plus more, if necessary
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan about 2 oz
- 1 cup shredded gruyere I used a hickory smoked
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Spray instant pot with cooking spray.
- Add in pasta, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and lock the lid (make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to sealing).
- Cook using the manual button (set to high pressure) and adjust timer on the Instant Pot to 4 or 5 minutes.*
- The Instant Pot will beep when it's finished. Flip the valve to "venting" for a quick release.
- Remove lid and stir in milk.
- Stir in parmesan, gruyere, and cheddar. Stir in a little at a time for best results.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, and enjoy!
- Reheat leftovers with a little milk.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.