Habanero, Mango, Lime, Tequila. Spicy, sweet, fruity, tart. Sounds like the making of the perfect Mango Habanero Margarita!
Let me explain.
Memorial Day weekend, to me, marks the first day of grilling season and summer, which inevitably means margarita season, so today, I’ve declared it to be Mango Habanero Margarita Day!
By now, you guys know my love for Mexican food, chips and salsa, and of course, margaritas.
As much as we love our usual Friday Night-Mexican Night spot, sometimes Trevor and I like to mix it up and go to… a different Mexican restaurant. 😉
There’s this place up in Queen Anne called Peso’s that I love going to for dinner, but especially for Saturday…and Sunday brunch. I’m obsessed with chilaquiles (just ask Trevor how many times I’ve talked about them in the past two days…or maybe don’t 😉 ) and since brunch isn’t really brunch without a cocktail, Trevor and I always order their mango habanero margarita.
Their margarita is so good, that I of course, had to make my own at home.
This mango habanero margarita is best enjoyed outside with your significant other and/or furry baby on a sunny Saturday, although, I wouldn’t complain if I was enjoying this on the beach, in the dead of winter, or right now at 2 AM on a Monday morning. Kidding. Kidding.
In all seriousness (because margaritas are serious business), this mango habanero margarita really hits the spot. There’s mango, there’s a homemade habanero simple syrup, and there’s tequila. ♡♡♡
Here’s a quick lesson – just in case you’re not familiar with habaneros. They are ahhhh-mazing. They are also significantly spicier than a jalapeno pepper. It’s a different kind of spice, too. Jalapenos, to me, hit you right at the front of your mouth – WHAM. Habaneros, however, hit the back of your throat. I might be making that up, buuuuut that’s what it tastes like to me and it’s sooo delicious.
Mango Habanero Margarita. Let’s break it down.
There’s a habanero simple syrup. I wanted to steep the habanero in the simple syrup to get that sweet and spicy thing going. Yes please.
There’s mango, because it’s fruity and delicious.
There’s lime, because it adds just the right amount of tartness to balance all that sweet, fruity, spiciness going on.
There’s tequila, because, um, what’s a great margarita without tequila?
Habanero, Mango, Lime, Tequila. Spicy, sweet, fruity, tart. Sounds like the making of the perfect margarita!
If you’re a lover of spice, then I would definitely give this Mango Habanero Margarita a try. My recipe is for 2 margaritas, but lets be honest, we should all probably double or triple the recipe and make a pitcher! Have some friends over, sit outside, turn up the tunes, and have a blast!
Happy Summer (and Mango Habanero Margarita Day!)
I, once again, used my beloved Vitamix for this recipe. What are your favorite Vitamix recipes? Show me the yummy!
Mango Habanero Margarita
Habanero Infused Simple Syrup (makes 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 habanero halved
Chili Powder/Salt Rim
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen mango cubes thawed (or fresh if you have it!)
- 3 oz habanero simple syrup
- 4 1/2 oz tequila
- 1 1/2 oz triple sec
- 3 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
Habanero Infused Simple Syrup
- Cook on low until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let the habanero steep for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture using a fine sieve into a lidded jar. Store in the fridge until ready for use.
Chili Powder/Salt Rim
- Mix together chili powder and salt together on a small plate, set aside.
- Wet the rim of your glasses (with water or use lime juice by rubbing a lime wedge along the rim) and then dip the rim in the chili powder/salt mixture.
- Fill the glasses with ice.
- Place thawed mango and habanero simple syrup in a Vitamix or high powdered blender.
- Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Fill a shaker with a few ice cubes (don't use too many, as the margarita ingredients fill the shaker most of the way).
- Pour in mango/simple syrup mixture, tequila, triple sec, and lime juice.
- Shake until chilled.
- Pour evenly into two glasses and drink immediately!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.