This Chicken Meatloaf is moist, flavorful, and healthy. Made with ground chicken, Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, parmesan and more, then slathered with sweet and smoky BBQ sauce.
- Unsalted Butter – used to cook the onion and garlic and add flavor depth to the meatloaf.
- Yellow Onion – gives a sweet, caramel-y flavor.
- Minced Garlic – provides a subtle kick.
- Salt and Pepper – enhances flavor and adds a bit of spice.
- Ground Chicken –
- Eggs – binds the ingredients together so the meatloaf can hold its shape.
- Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs – breadcrumbs soak up the buttermilk and act as a binding agent for the meatloaf.
- Grated Parmesan – adds moisture and gives the meatloaf a cheesy, nutty flavor.
- Buttermilk – gives the meatloaf plenty of moisture and makes the chicken super tender.
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds a salty, tangy flavor.
- BBQ Sauce – slathered on top to give the meatloaf a sweet, smoky flavor.
How to make
This chicken meatloaf is such a quick and easy dinner! Just 15 minutes to prep it, bake it, then serve it up with your favorite sides!
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat then add in onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook until tender then transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in remaining salt and pepper, ground chicken, whisked eggs, breadcrumbs, parmesan, buttermilk, and Worcestershire. Use your hands to mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased loaf pan then spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce on top.
- Bake at 350ºF on the middle rack with a baking sheet below for 90 minutes then let sit for 15 minutes before serving!
How to make meatloaf moist
- Use buttermilk. Although you can use regular milk, I recommend using buttermilk because the acidity makes the meat more tender and moist. If you don’t have buttermilk you can make your own using regular milk and vinegar or lemon juice.
- Don’t over-mix. Mix the meatloaf mixture with your hands until just combined. If you overwork the meat it may end up tough and dry.
- Let the meatloaf sit. After your meatloaf bakes for 90 minutes, let it sit in the pan before you try to cut and serve it. This gives it a chance to set and for the juices to really soak into the meat. If you cut it too soon, then the moisture will run out and the meat will be dry.
Is chicken meatloaf healthy?
Chicken meatloaf is definitely healthier than other types of meatloaf since chicken is a great source of lean protein and lower in calories than ground beef.
Serve chicken meatloaf next to a side of veggies and you’ve got a super nutritious lunch or dinner!
Can you use other meat?
You can! If chicken meatloaf isn’t your thing you can definitely use ground pork, turkey, or make a classic ground beef meatloaf instead.
What to serve with chicken meatloaf
Chicken meatloaf makes a delicious and healthy entree but I love to bulk my meal up with a side dish or two!
How to store
Store leftover chicken meatloaf in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or bake to warm.
Equipment for this recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper divided
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons bbq sauce + more for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a saute pan, melt butter over medium heat then add in onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Move mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, ground chicken, whisked eggs, breadcrumbs, parmesan, buttermilk, and worcestershire.
- Use your hands to mix the mixture until combined, then place into prepared loaf pan.
- Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce on top.
- Place meatloaf into preheated oven on the middle rack, then place a rimmed 9x13 inch baking sheet on the rack below (this catches any grease that spills out).
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked (165ºF internal temperature.)
- Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with remaining sauce on the side and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.