This BBQ chicken salad is easy, healthy, filling…and…oh yea…delicious! Everyone went back for seconds and wanted the recipe. It’s the perfect meal to feed your guests without having to spend precious time slaving away in the kitchen.
Last week I think I was on a mission to gain as many pounds as possible, as quickly as possible. We talked about eggnog donuts, mint chocolate candy, and peanut butter blossoms. As much as I love all of these sugary, ultra delicious treats. This morning, I was craaaaving a salad. All my body wanted was fresh, crisp lettuce to offset all that peanut butter and chocolate. So naturally, I made a BBQ Chicken Salad, complete with corn, black beans, and tortilla chips. Duh.
You’d think being a food blogger, that when we have friends over for dinner, I’d prepare an elaborate meal with 5 courses, complete with the perfect wine pairings, and a dessert and some espresso to top off the night. Maybe some of you are like that – teach me your ways! – but I, on the other hand, keep things easy. I am a huge fan of the crock pot when people come over. It makes the house smell amazing, because it’s been cooking all low and slow all day and then you can focus more on the guests, and wine ;), then spending time by yourself in the kitchen!
So, we had friends coming over one night. Obviously, I wanted to make something easy and wouldn’t you know that this BBQ chicken salad is easy?! 😉 Throw some chicken and BBQ sauce in a crock pot and let cook low and slow for eight hours. I even made my own homemade BBQ sauce, because I don’t like how store bought tastes, but it only took me a matter of minutes! The ingredients and instructions will be posted below. Easy? Check!
I also had a request to make something healthy, which is perfect, because like I said, last week I was trying to beat a world record for pounds gained in one week or something. So it had to be healthy, but two guys would be present, so it needed to be filling, too.
This BBQ chicken salad starts with a base of romaine, is topped with lightly salted corn and black beans, that shredded chicken that’s been cooking all day, a few crushed tortilla chips, and a Ranch yogurt dressing! The dressing takes 10 seconds to put together. Take Ranch yogurt styled salad dressing, reduced fat sour cream (I’m sure greek yogurt would be great, too!), lime juice, a handful of cilantro and give it a quick spin in your blender and you have one healthy, delicious dressing.
Healthy and filling? Check!
Let’s recap. This BBQ chicken salad is easy, healthy, filling…and…oh yea…delicious! Everyone went back for seconds and wanted the recipe. It’s the perfect meal to feed your guests without having to spend precious time slaving away in the kitchen.
If you have any leftovers, these ingredients make for great nachos! Layer tortilla chips on a plate, top with corn, beans, shredded chicken, and a little cheese. Then microwave until the cheese is super melty. Top with dressing or maybe just a little sour cream aaaaand enjoy. Definitely not as healthy, but definitely delicious. 😉
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 squirts Sriracha or to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt styled ranch dressing I used Bolthouse
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1-2 whole limes juiced (Start with one and add more based on consistency and taste)
- 1-2 handfuls cilantro (again, start with one and add more based on taste)
- 1 (10 oz) bag romaine lettuce
- 1 (15 oz) can corn drained, rinsed, and salted to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained, rinsed, and salted to taste
- tortilla chips
- Start by making your BBQ sauce. Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly, before placing a thin layer on the bottom of a lightly greased crockpot/slow cooker.
- Place chicken breasts, in a single layer, on top. Place more BBQ on top of the chicken, reserving 1/2 cup for later. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. When the chicken is fully cooked, shred the chicken in the crockpot, and stir in more BBQ sauce if it's too dry.
- Place yogurt styled ranch dressing, sour cream, lime juice, and cilantro into your blender and blend until smooth. Place in an airtight container in the fridge until ready for use.
- Place romaine lettuce in individual bowls. Layer black beans and corn, a little of the ranch dressing, the shredded chicken, crushed tortilla chips, and then more dressing on top!