How to Make Box Brownies Better: a few simple ways to make your boxed brownies taste like they’re made from scratch. Moist, fudgy, chocolate-y, and so easy!
Everyone loves the ease of boxed brownies — in basically no time you can have a fresh pan of warm and gooey brownies in front of you.
Now. Boxed brownies are good, but sometimes you can tell they’re boxed…
So what can you do to make your box brownies taste homemade? These simple steps add virtually no time, but really take boxed brownies to the next level.
How do you make boxed brownies better?
These 5 easy tricks are sure to make that boxed brownie mix taste like made-from-scratch brownies. No one will know they’re not. 😉
- Use milk instead of water. Milk contains more fat and flavor than water so the brownies are even more moist, gooey, and delicious.
- Add coffee. Adding instant coffee doesn’t make the brownies taste like coffee — it just enhances the flavor of the chocolate!
- Give them texture. Stir in chocolate chips or chunks. Not only does it give the brownies a more intense chocolate flavor, it also adds a gooey, melty, ultra rich texture.
- Add vanilla. This might not seem that important, but trust me. Adding vanilla adds another layer of flavor and really gives your boxed brownies that homemade touch.
- Add salt. Salt enhances the chocolate flavor and balances out the sweetness from the sugar.
Only 5 extra ingredients necessary to take your boxed brownies from “EH” to “OH YEAH”!
- Chocolate Brownie Mix – a mix of flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Serves as a base for these brownies. Use your favorite brand, but make sure it’s an 18.4 oz box.
- Canola Oil and Eggs – brownie mix typically calls for oil and eggs, so these are two standard ingredients needed for boxed brownies. Both add moisture and help create a fudgy brownie.
- Buttermilk – standard brownie mix calls for water, but using buttermilk instead takes these brownies to another level, giving them a richer texture and flavor.
- Instant Coffee – enhances the chocolate flavor for a more chocolate-y brownie.
- Vanilla Extract – adds depth of flavor and a touch of extra sweetness.
- Salt – cuts the sweetness and brings out the flavor of the brownies.
- Chocolate Chips/Chunks – add more chocolate flavor and helps create an ultra ooey-gooey texture.
How to make
This semi homemade brownie recipe takes 10 minutes to prep!
- Place brownie mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, instant coffee, vanilla, and salt into a large bowl then stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips or chunks.
- Pour the batter into a greased square pan then top with additional chocolate. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out kind of gooey.
- Cool for 30 minutes, cut, then serve and enjoy!
Can you frost the brownies?
Absolutely! You can either use a store-bought frosting or whip up a homemade batch to give your boxed brownies even more of that homemade touch.
These semi-homemade brownies are delicious but if you want to play around with your boxed brownies even more here are some ideas!
- Add nuts. Mix in crushed walnuts or pecans for even more texture and nutty flavor.
- Try different mix-ins. Roughly chopped candies or cookies, baking chips, dried fruit, etc.
- Make them minty. Mix in crushed up peppermint candy or a splash of peppermint extract for a flavor twist.
- Add a swirl. Swirl in your favorite spread such as peanut butter, nutella, cookie butter, or even jam!
How to store
Leftover brownies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To enjoy again, thaw in the fridge if frozen then serve cold, at room temperature, or warm in the microwave.
How to Make Box Brownies Better
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (18.4 oz) box chocolate brownie mix no mix-ins
- 2/3 cup canola oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips/chunks plus more for topping
- Maldon sea salt for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x8 nonstick square pan with cooking spray, then line with a parchment sling. Set aside.
- Place brownie mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, instant coffee, vanilla, and salt into a large bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips/chunks.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, then top with additional chocolate chips/chunks, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes (an inserted toothpick should come out kind of gooey).
- Optional - top with maldon sea salt.
- Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then remove, cut into squares, and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.