These homemade Heath Bars are sweet, salty, and crunchy. Crispy toffee is layered with creamy milk chocolate and topped with roasted almonds.
This heath bar recipe is perfect for the holidays! Bring it to a get-together, gift it to your friends and family, or just keep it around the house to snack on. 😉 It’s sweet, salty, chocolate-y, and so delicious!
What is a heath bar?
A heath bar is a thin, crunchy candy bar made up of crispy toffee coated in milk chocolate and sprinkled with chopped almonds.
We’re keeping this heath bar recipe easy by giving the chocolate its own layer! There’s no dipping or coating necessary but you still get ALL the sweet and salty flavor!
Only six ingredients necessary for this sweet, salty, and chocolate-y homemade candy!
- Unsalted Butter – prevents the crystallization of sugar in toffee, keeping it smooth. Butter also provides a rich, creamy flavor to the candy.
- Brown Sugar – cooked to 300 degrees F for perfectly crisp caramel!
- Salt – cuts the sweetness and enhances flavor.
- Vanilla Extract – adds warmth and sweetness.
- Chocolate Chips – melted and layered over the toffee. Drizzling melted chocolate over the toffee layer keeps this recipe quick and easy!
- Almonds – use roasted and salted almonds for a crunchy texture and salty flavor that balances the sweet chocolate beautifully.
How to make
This homemade candy bar is ready in 35 minutes!
- In a large stockpot, bring butter, sugar, and salt to a boil and stir until the temperature reaches 300ºF, using a candy thermometer. Remove the mixture from the heat and immediately stir in vanilla.
- Transfer the mixture onto a warm, greased baking sheet and spread it around by tilting the sheet back and forth until it’s spread evenly.
- Let the brittle set until firm then spread melted chocolate in a thin layer over the brittle.
- Sprinkle on the chopped nuts and carefully press down to make sure they stick.
- Place it in the freezer until set then break, serve, and enjoy!
What chocolate to use
Any chocolate chips will work. I melt down milk chocolate chips for the chocolate layer but if you prefer dark or semi-sweet chocolate either of those will work as well!
Are heath bars gluten-free?
Yes! Both store-bought AND homemade heath bars are totally gluten-free.
Do heath bars have nuts?
Yes! These heath bars are made with roasted and salted almonds.
If you don’t love almonds, feel free to use another type of nut. Roasted and salted pistachios, pecans, walnuts, or even peanuts would be delicious.
How to store
Store leftover heath bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Enjoy again straight from the fridge/freezer or bring to room temperature!
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate chips melted
- 1 cup finely chopped roasted salted almonds
- Preheat oven to lowest setting, grease a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, and keep warm in the oven.
- In a large stockpot, bring butter, sugar, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently (almost constantly), until temperature reaches 300 degrees F using a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in vanilla.
- Quickly and carefully pour the mixture onto warm greased pan.
- Spread the brittle by picking up the pan and tilting it around until it covers the entire pan.
- Let the brittle set until firm, but still warm, this should only take a few minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate into a thin even layer over the brittle.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and carefully press down to ensure the almonds stick to the chocolate.
- Place the toffee in the freezer until set.
- Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.