These easy vegan black bean and roasted corn tacos are so good you’ll want them for Meatless Monday and Taco Tuesday!
Today is Meatless Monday and tomorrow is Taco Tuesday and I know what you’re going to make for BOTH dinners. These easy vegan black bean and roasted corn tacos were such a hit for Trevor and I that I made these tacos two nights in a row last week! They’re easy, they’re healthy, they’re filling, and most importantly, they’re tacos. So, I know you’re going to want to make these at least two days in a row, too. 😉
Have I told you guys that I love Mexican food? 😉 I love Mexican for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A few weekends ago, Trevor and I went out for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, we went to this amazing Mexican place in Ballard called Senor Moose. We’d been there for a drink and chips and salsa before, but never for brunch. It gets rave reviews, and it was cold and rainy, so we made our way to an early Saturday breakfast. Early, as in, we were the only one’s there without kids and below the age of 40….we need to learn to sleep in! 😉
I saw chilaquiles on the menu, so of course I ordered them – chips are my favorite – and holy guacamole (hehe!) I’m so glad I did. I can’t stop thinking about them. Chilaquiles are basically homemade corn tortilla chips that are then simmered in salsa. Ours was served with homemade black beans, some sort of tender beef, and over easy eggs. After we left, I was already excited for the next time we would go back.
Sunday morning rolls around and I’m seriously craving some more chilaquiles. It was nice out, so instead of driving all the way to Ballard, we decided to walk and try another restaurant’s (Peso’s) chilaquiles…you know…for a little compare and contrast… I think I told Trevor it was “research”. 🙂 Again. Amazing. Don’t worry – I’m brain storming a homemade version as we speak!
I was stuffed for the rest of the day, but then Trevor and I started doing a little research on maybe traveling to Mexico in the near-ish future. While he was looking up flight and different hotels, I was on Yelp looking up as many restaurants as I could.
Before I know it, it’s Monday evening and I still have Mexico and Mexican food on my mind. I needed more Mexican food and I needed it for dinner NOW. I scrambled to find anything Mexican food related in my pantry and came up with salsa, black beans, corn, and corn tortillas.
Is how these easy vegan black bean and roasted corn tacos were discovered.
First, you need to make the black bean filling. Combine black beans, your favorite salsa – I’ve used Pace Picante and this salsa (seriously so good!) before – a couple cloves of garlic, ground cumin, and salt into a small saucepan. Cook until hot, stirring frequently!
Now make the roasted corn. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and add dried canned corn and diced jalapeños. Cook until rooooooasty toasty.
Now assemble: warmed corn tortilla –> black bean filling –> roasted corn –> favorite taco toppings.
Eat and enjoy! Trevor loves meat for dinner, but I heard nothing, but “mmm’s” out of him as he gobbled down 3 of these tacos!
These easy vegan black bean and roasted corn tacos are a great Meatless Monday and Taco Tuesday dinner option! They’re quick to put together and can be customized to suit your needs! Like spicy? Use a hot salsa. Not vegan? Add shredded cheese and sour cream as toppings! Serving a crowd? Double the filling and roasted corn and set out a bunch of different toppings for a serve yourself Taco Bar!
I seriously can’t wait for you guys to make these!
Do you participate in Meatless Monday and/or Taco Tuesday? Show me the yummy!
Vegan Black Bean and Roasted Corn Tacos
Black bean filling
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can corn drained and dried (the corn needs to be very dry, so it will roast correctly)
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- salt to taste
- corn tortillas
- cilantro roughly chopped (highly recommended)
- lime juice
- shredded cheese
- sour cream/non fat plain greek yogurt or vegan alternative
- shredded lettuce
Black bean filling
- Place black beans, salsa, garlic, and ground cumin into a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until hot. The beans will break up a bit as you stir. Taste and season with salt, if necessary. Keep warm on low while you cook the roasted corn.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add very dry corn and and diced jalapeno (no oil or cooking spray). Let it sit for 3-5 minutes, so the corn/jalapeno has a chance to roast.
- Stir a few times and then let sit again for an additional 3-5 minutes. Stir again. If it's not roasty enough, cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Warm a corn tortilla according to the package. Place black bean filling into the tortilla and top with roasted corn/jalapeño, and additional toppings! Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.