This Crockpot Lava Cake is ooey-gooey and packed with chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and melty chocolate chips.
Can you bake in the slow cooker?
I absolutely love slow cooker desserts because usually all you have to do is throw all the ingredients into the crockpot then let it cook for a few hours.
You can walk away and come back to a ready-to-eat dessert with basically no hands on time!
- Chocolate Cake Mix – the base for the lava cake.
- Eggs – helps bind the lava cake ingredients together and give it structure.
- Buttermilk – makes the cake ultra moist.
- Unsalted Butter – provides warmth and depth of flavor.
- Coffee – coffee not only adds moisture but also enhances the chocolate flavor of the cake.
- Vanilla Extract – provides flavor depth and a touch of extra sweetness.
- Salt – brings out flavor and cuts the sweetness.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – mixed into the batter and layered on top for tons of melty, chocolate-y texture and flavor.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix and Milk – gives the lava cake that classic ooey-gooey texture and more chocolate flavor.
- Ice Cream – for serving, if desired.
How to make
This crockpot lava cake comes together with just 10 minutes of prep!
- In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, butter, coffee, vanilla, and salt. Stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into a greased crockpot.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk until slightly thickened.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the crockpot over the cake batter but do not mix. Sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips.
- Cover the crockpot with a thin kitchen towel then cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 1 1/2-2 hours. The edges should be set but the inside will be jiggly.
What cake mix to use
I use boxed chocolate cake mix that calls for 1 1/4 cups water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 3 eggs.
I haven’t tested this recipe using cake mixes with other instructions.
Can you use any cake mix?
Yes! I love the chocolate lava cake but you can try this recipe using white, spiced, lemon, strawberry, you name it!
If you do swap out the cake mix, you may also want to use a different pudding so the flavors don’t clash. Try strawberry cake mix and vanilla pudding, spiced cake mix and butterscotch pudding, or lemon cake mix with lemon pudding.
Do you have to cover crockpot lava cake with a towel?
Yes! You will want to cover the crockpot with a thin kitchen towel before you place the lid on and cook it.
The towel helps absorb the condensation that naturally accumulates on the lid during the slow cooking process. If it’s not being absorbed, you’ll end up with a soggy cake!
Can you bake lava cake?
How to store
Leftover crockpot lava cake will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for 3-4 months.
To enjoy again, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave to warm!
Crockpot Lava Cake
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (15.25 oz) box chocolate cake mix *
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- 1 (3.9 oz) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- Ice cream for serving if desired
- Spray a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray then set aside.
- Into a large bowl, place cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, butter, coffee, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat until combined, then stir in 1/2 the chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into prepared crockpot.
- In a medium sized bowl, place pudding mix and milk, then whisk together for 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Pour into the crockpot over the cake batter - do not mix, then sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Cover the crockpot with a thin kitchen towel (be sure the towel doesn’t touch the top of the cake), then place the lid on top.
- Cook on LOW 3-4 hours or HIGH 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until cake is cooked to your liking. The outside edges should be set, but the inside will be jiggly still - it’s a lava cake!
- Scoop and serve with ice cream!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.