An ultra tender cake with slightly crisp edges and a perfectly white chocolate lemon-y molten lava gooey center, this Lemon Lava Cake is surprisingly simple to make and is in other words: heaven. 😉
Ok. There are a lot of recipes that I think you should make, but I’m seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY loving this Lemon Lava Cake right now.
Watch the video below and you’ll see why.
It’s ooey. It’s gooey. It’s decadent without being too heavy. It’s lemony, chocolatey, sweet, melty perfection and I can’t stop drooling about it.
And guess what else? It’s actually easy to make! 😱 😍
I’ve been wanting to make a lava cake since like Valentine’s Day, but as you can see, life got in the way, and I’m just getting around to make one the very last day of June. 😉
Originally, I wanted to make a milk chocolate one, but helloooo it’s summer, and summer = all the lemon things. And lemon is meant to be paired with sweet, creamy white chocolate, so here you go: a White Chocolate Lemon Lava Cake.
I also was going to make these in individual ramekins, but really
- Who actually has ramekins?
- Who actually has the same size ramekins as everyone else?! So. Many. Ramekin. Choices.
So to solve the problem of going out and buying ramekins, or trying to figure out how many ounces your ramekins are, I decided to make this Lemon Lava Cake in a jumbo muffin pan (the cavities each hold about 6 oz of water)!
Before I actually made homemade lava cake, I assumed, because it looked so fancy and decadent, that it would be really hard to make.
Boy oh boy was I wrong. It’s actually surprisingly simple to make!
Here’s what you’re gonna do:
Melt white chocolate and butter together until smooth and creamy.
Whisk in powdered sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Once that’s smooth, you’ll gently stir in flour and salt. Don’t overmix… that’s the only “rule” in this recipe. 🙂
Then you’ll pour the batter into your prepared (buttered) muffin tin and bake ’em for about 15 minutes.
THAT’S IT! Seriously. How easy was that?!
Now. Here’s the hardest part. Once the Lemon Lava Cake has baked and cooled for a few minutes, you need to run a knife along the outside of the cakes and then flip them over by placing a cookie sheet on top of the muffin tin and flipping it 180 degrees. Before you bake these, you’ll ultra butter the tin, so they should come out pretty darn easy.
Then you’ll top them with a little powdered sugar, because, um, why not, and then top them with fruit and maybe a little whipped cream… or better yet…ICE CREAM. OMG.
The result is an ultra buttery, tender perfectly lemon cake with slightly crisp edges, and the most decadent, ooey, gooey, melty white chocolate-y center.
I never say this, but you guys, this Lemon Lava Cake Recipe is TO DIE FOR. 😉
What lava cake flavor should I make next?! I’m obsessed. Show Me the Yummy!
Lemon Lava Cake Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 8 ounces white chocolate
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and butter the cavities of a 6 cavity jumbo muffin tin.*
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate and butter together. It should only take 60 seconds in the microwave.
- Once melted, whisk in sugar, eggs, yolks, vanilla, lemon, and lemon zest until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Using a spatula, gently stir in flour and salt. Don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (mine were perfect at 15).
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife along the sides of the cakes.
- Place a baking sheet on top of the muffin pan and flip them. The cakes should pop out.
- Top with more powdered sugar, whipped cream, fruit, ice cream, etc and serve immediately!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.