Cozy up with this One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup! It’s healthy, hearty, and so full of flavor! Bonus: only ONE DISH and 5 minutes of prep necessary!
Well…it looks like fall is officially right around the corner here in Madison, WI. Yesterday was rainy and this weekend, temps are dropping down to the 60s! I’m doing a little happy dance over here 💃 , because that means I get to cozy up to a bowl of this steaming hot, full-of-flavor, One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup.
That’s the best part about fall, right? It’s chilly enough to enjoy all things cozy like soup, hot coffee☕ , and comfy casseroles, but not too chilly, so you’re not, you know, freezing your butt off when you’re taking the dog out.
Side note: why do dogs feel the need to take f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to go potty when the weather is unpleasant? Yeah…I’m looking at you Teddy. 👀
As you can see in the video 👆, this One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup is literally the easiest thing you will ever make in your life. Ever.
You can thank my exhaustion for today’s recipe inspiration. As you all know now, Trevor and I moved from Seattle –> Madison just a few short weeks ago. We spent all day Saturday moving in and continued unpacking all day Sunday.
By Sunday night, we were starving, yet really sick of eating out. Say whaaaat? I never thought I’d say that.
I needed something quick and something healthy, but still something flavorful and cozy.
Unfortunately we hadn’t been to the grocery store yet…we’d only made a trip to Sam’s Club, but I mean, what can you make for dinner with a 25 pound bag of granulated sugar?
Answer: not much.
We did, however, remember to pick up a 10 pound bag of frozen chicken and our pantry was stocked full of canned goods. 😂
Long story short, I had zero energy, so I took some frozen chicken, brown rice, canned corn, beans, tomatoes, a bunch of spices, and threw it all into my stock pot. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, ahem, while expecting the worse.
30 minutes later, however, I was so happy with the results, that we’ve now made this One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup 4 times since we moved in!
I love this Mexican soup for so many reasons.
1. You only dirty ONE pot. Seriously? Is there anything better?
2. There’s only ONE step. Just throw everything into your stockpot and you.are.done.
3. It tastes ahhhhh-mazing! I absolutely love all of the spices going on in here and you know Trevor loved this, because corn 🌽 was involved… 😉 I also love how the brown rice and chicken cooked perfectly together.
4. It’s healthy! Lean protein from the chicken breasts and beans and so hearty, yet light from the brown rice, spices, and chicken broth.
Serve this One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup as is, or go nuts with the toppings! We loved this with non-fat plain greek yogurt, loads of fresh cilantro, finely diced red onion, and plenty of tortilla chips!
If you guys 💙 this one pot recipe, you might also like:
Show me the yummy!
One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless FROZEN chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can corn drained
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne more or less to taste - we like spicy and did 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Stir everything together in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil with the lid on.
- Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes with lid on or until the chicken and rice are fully cooked.
- Stir regularly so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- After the 25-30 minutes from the chicken from pot, shred, and place back into soup.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Serve hot with fresh cilantro, sour cream, red onion, tortilla chips, or your desired toppings!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.