This roasted asparagus and tomato with lemon garlic hollandaise is a truly simple & elegant dish. Crisp asparagus. Juicy tomatoes. Creamy hollandaise. Yum!
Seattle is playing games with me. One day it’s sunny and warm and the next it’s cold and rainy. Although the weather isn’t consistent, the fresh produce has been consistently R-O-C-K-I-N’. As I was brain storming my next recipe at the grocery store, the asparagus and tomatoes, in particular, caught my eye. The asparagus was bright and crisp and the tomatoes were so plump. Although asparagus and tomato are great on their own, I can’t just write a post about plain veggies (can I? ;)), so I needed to make a dressing. I’ve been wanting to make my own hollandaise, so I decided to bring all those together to make roasted asparagus and tomato with lemon garlic hollandaise.
It’s now a rule in the Debth household that asparagus should always be roasted with tomato and then smothered in a homemade hollandaise. It should be your new rule, too. Just sayin’.
I actually adapted the hollandaise recipe from Julia Child. The woman is a genius…am I right or am I right? I’ve had her book: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (it’s only $20 on Amazon right now!) for over a year and hadn’t cracked it open once! Don’t ask me how I let that happen.
I remembered I had the book after I watched Julie and Julia a few days ago. I won’t bother telling you how many times I’ve seen that movie, but I will tell you, that I think I should start the Triple J Project: The Julie, Julia, and Jennifer Project, and I’ll cook my way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking and then they’ll make a movie and I’ll be in it with Amy Adams and Meryl Streep, and my life will be complete!
What are the odds of that actually happening?
Nevermind…don’t tell me.
Although the odds of me being in a movie with Amy Adams and Meryl Streep are slim to none (never say never ;)), the odds of me making this roasted asparagus and tomato with lemon garlic hollandaise again are threw the roof!
It’s such a simple dish that comes together quickly, but tastes like you’ve been slaving away for hours.
I know you know that you can handle the roasted asparagus and tomato part: trim and wash the asparagus, wash and halve the tomatoes, cover with oil and salt and roast in a preheated oven. Done!
You might, however, be a little weary of the hollandaise. Let me tell you, it’s so easy! Although it may look complicated, all you do is melt butter, set it aside, and place eggs, salt, cayenne, lemon juice, and roasted garlic into a powerful blender or Vitamix and let it whirl. Once the eggs/roasted garlic mixture has been fully incorporated, you’ll turn the blender back on and slowly pour in the melted butter until a thick sauce has come together.
That’s it! Then you’ll take the homemade hollandaise, pour it over the roasted veggies, and serve it immediately!
I honestly never knew how easy it was to make a hollandaise, because you always see people making it by hand with a whisk, and I, for one, am not sure I have the biceps for that. 😉 I love that the blender does the hard part for you!
This roasted asparagus and tomato with lemon garlic hollandaise is a truly simple and elegant dish. The asparagus is crisp, the tomatoes are juicy and acidic, and the lemon garlic hollandaise is so creamy and indulgent! Serve this next to my pecan crusted honey mustard salmon, grilled chicken, etc. and you’ve got a complete meal.
Easy enough for the week, but elegant enough to satisfy 🙂
Have you ever made your own hollandaise? Show me the yummy!
Roasted Asparagus and Tomato with Lemon Garlic Hollandaise
Equipment for this recipe
Roasted Asparagus and Tomato
- 1 small bunch asparagus trimmed
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
Lemon Garlic Hollandaise
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic roasted*
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
Roasted Asparagus and Tomato
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash, trim, and dry the asparagus.
- Wash, dry, and halve the tomatoes.
- Place the asparagus and tomatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt.
- Roast for about 15 - 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the asparagus is tender, but still crisp. You may need more time if your asparagus is thicker. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Lemon Garlic Hollandaise
- Melt butter and set aside for a few minutes to cool down slightly.
- Place yolks, salt, cayenne, lemon juice, and roasted garlic* in blender. Blend for 30 seconds at medium-high speed or until fully incorporated.
- Keeping the lid on, but removing the lid's center insert (where the tamper goes), turn the blender back on (on low and slowly turn it up to medium/full speed) and slowly pour in the melted butter. After you've poured all the butter in, blend for another 30 seconds or until a thick sauce has formed. Taste and re-season, if necessary and serve immediately over the roasted asparagus and tomato. You may have extra sauce!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.