Cake mix kicked up a notch to make this Carrot Poke Cake Recipe! Carrot cake is drizzled with cream of coconut then smothered in a homemade caramel cheesecake cool whip frosting.
This, my friends, is Carrot Poke Cake.
And it tastes like heaven.
This might just be the best cake I’ve ever made.
And it’s most definitely the easiest <– say whaaat?
Boxed carrot cake + cream of coconut + a crazy easy, decadent, fluffy homemade caramel cream cheese cool whip topping + a sprinkling of coconut and pecans for some crunch . . .
Like I said.
This Carrot Poke Cake tastes like heaven.
A few of you have been requesting a carrot cake recipe and I while I do LOVE me some carrot cake, I haven’t really been in the mood for baking lately.
This EASY peasy Carrot Poke Cake.
Please don’t be turned off by the boxed cake mix situation, because I’m telling you, the addition of the cream of coconut and homemade frosting is absolutely KILLER.
Let’s start with the cake:
Step One: Prepare according to package directions and bake. 😉
Step Two: Use the round handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake (watch video above to see how! 👆).
Step Three: Pour entire container of cream of coconut over warm cake. Side note: a LOT of poke cake recipes call for sweetened condensed milk, but I find that too sweet for this recipe. I think the cream of coconut is absolutely perfect for adding moisture without causing the cake to be overly sweet!
Step Four: Cool completely while you sit impatiently, drooling.
Now let’s talk frosting:
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Good start, right?
- Add in cheesecake pudding mix and powdered sugar.
- Add in caramel ice cream topping <– OMG.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
Ready to assemble?
Frost cake –> drizzle with more caramel sauce –> sprinkle with sweetened coconut and pecans pieces –> eat immediately or chill in fridge until ready to serve!
How’s that for Carrot Poke Cake?!
The result is a sweet, but not too sweet, ultra moist, gooey, carrot cake-y, caramel-y, slightly cream cheese-y perfection of a springtime dessert.
Who’s wants a piece?!
Carrot Poke Cake Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (15.25 oz) box carrot cake mix plus ingredients needed to make cake: egg, oil and water
- 1 (22 oz) container cream of coconut* only contains 16.9 oz cream of coconut
- 1 ( 8 oz) package cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3 (1 oz) packages instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce I just used jarred caramel ice cream topping
- 1 (8 oz) package Cool Whip thawed
- Drizzle of caramel
- sweetened coconut flakes
- pecan pieces
- Prepare and bake carrot cake mix according to package directions in a greased 9x13 in baking pan.
- Remove cake from oven. While still hot, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Drizzle cream of coconut on to the cake, then let cool completely.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together cream cheese and unsalted butter until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in cheesecake pudding mix and powdered sugar. It will be very thick.
- Now beat in caramel sauce.
- Once combined, on the lowest setting of your stand mixer, beat in the cool whip until everything is well combined.
- Frost cooled cake with frosting and drizzle with more caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle with sweetened coconut and pecan pieces (I LOVE the texture this gives, so I use quite a few pecans).
- Serve immediately or cover and store in fridge until ready to serve!
- Leftovers should be stored in the fridge.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.